60/40 alarm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nlawson0017

Reaction score
i have a 2010-2011 mercury 60-40 jet that will sound a alarm that is a solid beep for 5-10 seconds and then quits sounding. it happens at random times. i have idled for 10 mins and then a 3/4 throttle runs for a few miles and then back to a idle for a min it will sounds a alarm. ill shut the motor off for 10 mins and return back to the dock and nothing happens. then when idling to just get it back on the trailer it will go off again. i have replaced impeller and t-stat then went to a idle only lake and it never went off, then when returning to the river it does the same thing, alarm goes off after a run but only when i return to a idle speed for a min or so idling into a cove.

i just pulled the jet back off and checked the grommet on the impeller housing and impeller and t-stat and all looks good.

if anyone has any insight to my problems or tips please chime in. i have no idea if really getting hot or low oil pressure because i dont have a manual to tell me what a constant beep is for.

do these sensors ever go bad on these motors?

btw motor is peeing other than takes 5 or 10 seconds after startup.

I "THINK" that the steady beep is the oil alarm, at least it was on a 200 hp Mariner I had. It still smoked out of the exhaust but just wasn't getting enough oil. I'd try cleaning and checking all wires related to sensor, alarm for corrosion . Also check if any are loose.
Don't want to scare ya ,but if you have an alarm going off it needs attention right away.

After talking to a bud of mine who just happen to call after I posted this, he thinks its the temp alarm. Does this motor have a "high speed by pass" in the cooling sys? It could be sticking. even it is ,it will still pee strong.

That's why I said check for peeing at idle. If the valve is stuck open your motor will have problems peeing at idle, but will pee fine when you give it throttle.

Latest posts