60/40 stainless impeller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well just talked gw he does have new 6 7/8" impellers of the older style. Doesn't have any used ones in as of yet that he wants to sell. He is kind of proud of the new impellers he has, but what can you do. Pay a little less and get around 380 on line and get a new style one that work as well on a 2s. Or pay a little more to get one of the old style ones brand new that you won't be able to find anymore soon. It's almost like they are trying to force four chokes on you now. I can get making a new impeller for the four strokes, but wish they would have done it under a new part number and keep making the old style. Seems like they're still plenty of two strokes running around, and enough guys like me who don't care to trade in and have to sell a arm and leg to buy a new engine.

dhoganjr said:
This is a link to a Facebook group I'm on. The new impeller design from Mercury is to get the rpms up on the Fourstroke's, gains about 400 on them and about 1-2 mph. Doesn't help the 2 strokes from what I have read. Since Gw is taking trade-ins for the new ones, you might be able to get a good used one for a better price. Give him a call, won't hurt to check.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/604452952959143?view=permalink&id=1016538915083876

I appreciate the lead on gw, and the FB link but I couldn't get the FB link to work

You can search for and join the group SEMO Jet Boat Enthusiast.
It was started by a member from here.

thanks found it joined seems like a good group. Just talked to mercury customer service for a while suppose to call me back to verify what the difference in impellers is the guy I talked to was baffled because he figured they would have come out with a superseding part number if they changed the design. Everyone says the new ones are different just wanted to hear from mercury themselves before I pay extra to make sure I have a older style.

well I called up multiple dealers, troutt and sons, ernies, current river marine, and gw asked all of them about the new and old impeller. I got quiet the mixed answers. Troutt & Sons says the new impellers run just fine on the two stroke 60/40 mercs they just spin a couple hundred rpm faster than they did with the old ones. They say the extra rpms are just fine with the 2s and that they have customers running them on 2s without any complaint or noticeable difference. GW says that the new ones don't run as well as the old style ones did on the 2s, he has a couple old style impellers still brand, but wants full list price $420 plus tax, and shipping for them. Not exactly a good deal considering on line a brand new one is 340 total, and all the other dealers around only want 350-380 for a brand new one. Current river marine they weren't even aware of the change and couldn't really say weather or not the new ones ran much different on the 2s or not. Ernies had about the same to say as Troutt & Sons that it shouldn't affect performance that much that the engine would just spin a little faster. So honestly now I don't know what to think, wish I could try out a new and old style one before coughing up the money. Haven't been able to find any body with a 2s that has run both to comment on what they think.

Either impeller is going to be an improvement over what you've been running. GW is probably right that the older ones are better but for what your doing the new one will still be better then what you have. You have to keep in mind GW doesn't deal with the average fishing boats, he's dealing with high performance riding boats. So when he says the old ones run better he might be talking about 1 boat length faster out of the hole or something along those lines might be more then that I haven't had a chance to talk to him about these new impellers yet. Back when they had the boat races on the gasconade GW had a 60/40 Johnson that could only be out run by Cowtowns built 200hp evinrude. Hopefully he dust it off and brings it St. Clair on May 21 for the races this year.

^^^^^Great advice from Lil' Blue Rude. A few extra rpm's won't hurt unless you are running at the rev limiter. I also think either one will be a big improvement over what you have now.

Thanks for the advice my tach came in the other day so I'm gonna get it on and see what my rpms are like now with the 6 5/8 and speed. The UHMW intake came in the other day along with the 6 7/8" liner, so need to get a impeller now. When I swap them I will report back what speed and rpms are like with the new intake and impeller. Debating on getting a 6 7/8 liner for the aluminum intake to be able to see if there is any difference in speed between the aluminum intake and uhmw.