81 Lowe 25hp Johnson Restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turk

Reaction score
I'm restoring my wife's late Papaw's boat. As you can see I'm still it the strip and clean up. Just lookin for tips and advice. Any help is appreciated
phonr pivd 020.JPG
phonr pivd 029.JPG

Progress today....took out the console and all wiring removed more carpet. I had to cut the welds on the corner pieces to remove the compost heap formerly known as the transom support board. Anyone have any suggestions on beefing up the transom support?

phone pics 2 003.JPG

I also had to cut the channel off that wrapped over the transom board. I will replace it with an aluminum C-channel bolted over top the support through the board. Like I said really would like to beef it up without tearing out the whole backend if anybody has any ideas.
phone pics 2 007.JPG

I have seen some folks go with aluminum tubing for a transom, but If you are going with anything under a 40 or so you will probably be happy just putting the plywood coated back in. I put a piece of aluminum back to cover the transom, but that was mostly to protect it from water.

Thanks for the help fellas, I'm planning on keeping the 25 on it for now but in the future I would like to maybe put a 40 or a 50 on it.

Well I said to hell with it and just replaced the transom stock and cleaned her up a little more
boat pics 002.JPG
boat pics 007.JPG
boat pics 011.JPG

I filled it up with water and I have a bunch of pinhole leaks along the ribs of the bottom....instead if trying to weld every tiny hole up I was wondering if I could just coat the inside or outside with something to plug them up....any suggestions?

I used Herculiner in my boat for the same problem and it worked great, another idea is coat the outside with steelflex or a likewise product. Both will waterproof.

Thanks, Sounds like a great idea. Back at it now with Turkey season over. I did take it out a few times chasing birds and catching a few crappie. I'm replacing the water pump and having some issues. the aftermarket kit 395270 comes with 2 o rings I am unsure on where the go as the original kit lacks these any ideas. You can see the o ring in the pic.

Also when checking out the lower unit I noticed a bearing bouncing around free in the housing. I figured out where it went but I screwed up and am not sure which way the shift gear goes. It has a groove on one end does it go toward the forward or the reverse gear.

004.JPG

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352469#p352469 said:
Turk » Today, 5:32 am[/url]"]...

Also when checking out the lower unit I noticed a bearing bouncing around free in the housing. I figured out where it went but I screwed up and am not sure which way the shift gear goes. It has a groove on one end does it go toward the forward or the reverse gear.

It doesn't really matter, but if you see any signs of wear on the clutch dog, you want to put the best side toward the forward gear.

Thanks It looks like its in good shape I appreciate the help. Anybody got any ideas on those O-rings?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352513#p352513 said:
Turk » Yesterday, 12:49 pm[/url]"]Thanks It looks like its in good shape I appreciate the help. Anybody got any ideas on those O-rings?

They go on the Impeller housing spacer (#67)...
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1981&hp=25&model=J25RCIM&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346804#p346804 said:
Turk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:16 am[/url]"]I filled it up with water and I have a bunch of pinhole leaks along the ribs of the bottom....instead if trying to weld every tiny hole up I was wondering if I could just coat the inside or outside with something to plug them up....any suggestions?
If they are actual holes and not leaky rivets you may have to put aluminum patches over the holes.
Got any pictures?