'83 Bass Tracker Revival

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

Got a few things to do the next couple days, so that should give the varnish plenty of time to dry. Probably will get back to it on Saturday.

I think I've decided to sell the second Structure Scan unit. I'll keep the HDS7 and just link up both the bow and console with the transom sidescan. Between battery life concerns, space concerns, not having enough wire handy to wire them both up, and then the transducer mouting issue, it was just getting to be too much. Anyway it's on eBay for sale now if anyone is interested!!

Matt

i see you've pulled all the foam out of the front of the boat. Is this common? Do you forsee any problems with boyance or the boat not sitting level in the water?

hookedontronics said:
i see you've pulled all the foam out of the front of the boat. Is this common? Do you foresee any problems with boyance or the boat not sitting level in the water?

Foam only helps if you were to flip over, it's what will keep it from sinking. Taking it out won't have any effect (atleast in any of the boats I've modded) on buoyancy or how the boat sits in the water.

I wouldn't take it out of smaller boats (12' or less).. and I'd actually be hesitant to take all of it out of a boat that's 1436

Thanks Russ.

I had to remove the foam in the rear end because I didn't want any foam near the new transom wood, as well as to make some space for the gas tank. I added all new foam under the tray in the bilge, under the floor and along the side boards under the carpet. In the front, I removed the foam because I thought I might have to run the rod locker along the left side of the boat, but I decided to put it in the middle because there was already an opening in the aluminum bracing there, and I would have one less cut to make. I have already bought foam to replace what I took out in front.

Thanks again,

Matt

The rod locker structure is all finished and installed. I purchased some 1/4" plywood to use as dividers between compartments. The plan is to cut the wood to size, varnish, then cut carpet to cover it. I'll install the wood, then use the contact cement to place the carpet inside the compartments. At least, that's the plan. After that will be the deck...Which I've already noticed a problem. I'll probably have to grab a photo of it though, cuz I don't think I can explain it in words....

After quite a bit of hard work, I'm happy to say the BYOB Bass Tracker is complete! Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few months while I was finishing it up. At times I only had a few minutes at a time to spend on one small part of it. But, it's a big relief to have the bulk of the work behind me. So, I'm calling it done..for now. A few details left, but it's fully functional, looks good and performs exactly how I'd expected. The first couple times out were the testing runs, but I've been able to get it out a couple of times to fish also. I ran it for an entire 8-hr tournament day and it didn't miss a beat. At this point I wouldn't change anything about it, and the only minor issue I have is a leakly livewell pump. Thanks again for everyone's comments and advice along the 2-1/2 year journey, it's been fun!

I hope to update with some better shots soon. If you'd like to see anything specific or need some advice on how I did things, please drop me a PM.

Thanks again!!

Matt

026.JPG084.JPG102.JPG106.JPG107.JPG108.JPG113.JPG118.JPG130.JPG132.JPG133.JPG143.JPG145.JPG146.JPG151.JPG155.JPG156.JPG157.JPG159.JPG161.JPG168.JPG

Awesome build. I have been using this build as somewhat of a template for my boat revival. How is the steelflex holding up? I'm thinking about adding some to the bottom of my boat.

cleghorns finest said:
Awesome build. I have been using this build as somewhat of a template for my boat revival. How is the steelflex holding up? I'm thinking about adding some to the bottom of my boat.

So far it's been great. The downside is that I have to leave the boat hooked to the winch when backing down the ramp, or it literally will slide off the trailer.

Great looking boat! It's definitely one of the best looking bass rigs on this site. It's come a long way from the $400 boat you first brought home.

your boat has turned out amazing! seriously amazing!!! got a question for you... how do you like your rod locker where it is? i am about to re-do the front deck of my bass tracker and was considering putting a rod locker in the same place you did. as a fellow tournament bass fisherman i just wanted to make sure it works for you before i put mine there too?

So far it's been great. The rods can reach all the way up to the front, and as long as I have Rod Gloves on them they won't tangle. I can probably get an 8' rod in there with no problems. I'd definitely reccomend doing it there if you haven't already.

Matt