87 Smokercraft tear down and rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi every one I am fairly new to the site. I recently purchased a 87 smokercraft deep V. I bought the boat thinking that it would be great for bass and walleye in bigger water and would work preaty well for the small lakes around PA. Little did I know that it need a floor and mod work. I am just starting the project and found this site to be very useful. I am going to post some pics of the boat when i bought it and after the tear down. If any one has some great ideas for the boat that worked great for them I am all ears.
iphone051.jpg

iphone049.jpg

Dosnt look to bad right!
Now here are some after finding what was realy in the boat.
boatproject001.jpg

boatproject002.jpg

Here it is a clean slate and start of tear down and starting to get ready to clean it up.
boatproject007.jpg

boatproject008.jpg

Like i said if any one has any sudjestion feel free to to pm me or reply. I am looking for away to atach mounts to the ribs to hold the floor.

Hey everybody I am thinking I have a little time this weekend to work on the boat. I was just wondering if any one find 2x3 better for the floor or 2x2. I think the 2x2 will work just fine but wondered if I needed a little more.

Well I finally found some time to work on the boat today. I build the floor braces and started the floor. All that is left is cutting out the v part of the haul and it will be ready for carpet. It is looking alot better. I will post some pics when it stops raining and i can take the cover off. I was wounder if any one a sudjestion on the floor. I thought about painting it with an oil base paint be that I didnt use preasure treated. I was thinking maybe rustolem . I also woundered if this would prevent the carpet glue from sticking as well???

I used spar urethane on all of the wood in my boat, and have had no issues with the carpet glue. I used B/C exterior grade plywood for the floors and casting deck.

Think I'd have left the flotation foam. It would have been hard for me to put wood back in there. Especially for the framing. How does waferboard do wet?

Everything that you are doing looks GREAT.I think that the only thing that I would change is them little legs that you have going down to the ribs on the hull.I think that a horizontal 2x4 cut to the correct angle to spread out the pressure would be better.I'm in the process of a 16' flatbottom,was looking to see what you guys have done.

jasond37 said:
Looks very nice, I like it! Nice open floor plan.

I second that comment. Lots of room to move around. No storage, but you can use plastic boxes. Ice chests make good seats when you have extra people. There's plenty of room under the gunnels for rod racks.

Thanks guys for the comments. I am in the prosses of building a bench for the back that will have storage under it. You will also be able to stand on it for a second fishing platform. I also plan on building storage on the gunuls for storage. I made a live well out of a cooler, but sure where to put it yet. There is also going to be a second seat that is going in th middle for a second person. I will have more updates next week. If any one has any good suggestions please pm me I would to here them.

Latest posts