Absolute best battery?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
Some of you have been following my tin boat project. I'm getting close to picking up the trolling motor. Plans are to have the trolling motor, lights for night fishing, and a bilge all running off one motor. I will likely end up fishing electric only for the rest of this season, so I need a battery that can go all day. I only want one battery for weight savings, and will be using a 50lb Minn Kota Edge motor.

In the past, I had the mid grade batter from Wal-Mart. It served me well. I'm wondering if there is reason to step up to a better class of battery.

What do you feel is the best battery out there? Why do you think it's the best?

I don't know if this is the "best" but I have a 180ah deep cycle from BassPro that I use to power my 55 lb Minn Kota and I can get a couple of days of fishing out of it on one charge.

It all depends on how much you use it and what kind of stress you put it through. For the most part a recreational fisherman can buy the wal-mart brands and be just fine. Just make sure you charge immediately after every use.

asking what the best battery is gets the ford vs Chevy debate going...
look for a brand that has a high reserve mins you can find them with 210 reserve mins but they aren't cheap
dry cell/AGM batteries are nice and they say they last for years but will run you over 170 each
if you run your trolling motor on high for very long no battery will last the day.
Walmart is no longer offering a warranty so for me they would not be an option

I've fished electric only tourney for 3 years. I've used BPS, Walmart (the yellow one), and an interstate battery with a 12v 55 thrust kota. None will last 2 days as primary propulsion. Unless you have the wind to your back both days.

Unless you are routinely making long runs all day, any one of them should be fine so long as it's a deep cycle. Just carry a backup.

During an 8 hour tourney, on average I would say I run 20-40 minutes wide open two or three times, then sporadic use of a lower setting for 4-5 hours.

Latest posts