Advice-using 1slightly used and 1 new battery in parallel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahalls

Reaction score
I have a 12 volt MGxi5 TM that currently runs of one Interstate SM29 battery. The battery (Mf'd Aug 2015) came with the boat when i got it last year. it has always been maintained year round with an on-board charger. Reads 12.66 volts when i measure it off the charger. Am thinking of pairing it with a 2nd, new SM29 and hooking them in parallel for double the run time. Any issues with them both not being brand new - have read that that is a consideration in charging etc? Any other advice? Thanks!

FWIW I have a pair of batteries I use in parallel that were bought a few years apart so one is older than the other. I charge them in parallel with the charger connected to the + side of one battery and the - side of the other so they both have to charge together & haven't run into any issues yet, I've been doing that for 4 or 5 years now.

Hook them up in parallel and run em!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Picked up the new battery today and will install this weekend hopefully!! Will look forward to maximizing my run time.

onthewater102 said:
FWIW I have a pair of batteries I use in parallel that were bought a few years apart so one is older than the other. I charge them in parallel with the charger connected to the + side of one battery and the - side of the other so they both have to charge together & haven't run into any issues yet, I've been doing that for 4 or 5 years now.

What he said! Been doing this myself until the batteries are replaced closer now, maybe a years difference.

Latest posts