Alumacraft 1436LT & Tohatsu 9.8 props and speeds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwman1

Reaction score
I am posting this as a resource to others that may follow me. My Jon boat conversion project is pretty much complete and I've been tuning for max speed, as I live on a large lake.
I purchased a 2020 Tohatsu 9.8 four-stroke locally. There were some issues with a dirty carburetor, but once settled, the engine is a real sweetheart. Quiet, reliable, and very fuel efficient. The previous owner had the engine on a marsh boat that was overweight. At the time of purchase he included a Solas 8.5 X 8 prop that was too tall for his application.

My 1436LT has a composite deck from the front seat to the rear of the front lip. Beneath that is a 50AH lithium battery. I have an Edge 45 trolling motor mounted on two aluminum U-beam mounts. There is a compartment under the front seat. The center of the boat has foam fillers, and a fiber board surface to make walking around less of a challenge. Everything has Hydroturf self-adhesive foam decking. 3 gallon fuel tank is just in front of the rear seat. A bilge pump is in the rear area behind the rear seat.

Weights:
Boat 135
Engine 80
Battery 22
Trolling motor and mount 55
Front deck and structure 35
Center flooring 15
Hydroturf 12
fuel 10
Me! 185
Total 549 lbs

Recommended engine rpm range is 5000-6000 rpm.

Speed with solas 8.5 X 8 18.6 mph @ 6200 (6300 limiter on this engine) Prop slip about 18
Speed with Solas 8.5 X 9 20 mph @ 5530 Prop slip about 12

Hopefully this can help someone out in the future.

Last edited: