Alumacraft 1540 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherFisherman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Been reading the posts here for the last couple of months. Hopefully I can start next week, been acquiring parts. I thought I start this thread to post my progress and ask questions.

Here is what I have, I bought a 1540 Alumacraft jon boat new 2 years ago and used it as is. Have a 1985 Evinrude 15 horsepower motor, runs great. I just recently found a used boat trailer, so that inspired me to fix up the boat. My wife and me fish mainly for crappie and brim, so adding a deck is not in the plan. I am looking for comfort and convenience. My flooring will be made out of .09inch aluminum sheets, hopefully they will get cut this week. After reading other posts, wanted to keep weight down as much as possible. Attached the starting pictures,

I am planning the layout at presently, so here are my first questions,

1. After reading a bit about live wells, I decided to go the cooler route. Actually bought a 54qt cooler yesterday and a cooler aerator kit. It has a 500gbh pump. Will this work or do I need an additional air pump? I am fishing in Kentucky/Tennessee, which can be a bit hot in the summer. I didn't want to have the extra work and cost of actually pumping water in and out of the live well from the lake. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. I have a hummingbird 535 fish finder that the transducer went out on another boat, so all I need is the transducer. My question is mounting, I have always transom mounted the transducer. Hummingbird states that I can mount inside the hull. So my question is where can I do the mounting, just behind the rear bench seat? Will this work? Or is the transom mount the best way to go?

Thanks for your Answers in advance.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 2,721
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 2,721
It's a common misconception that air pumps put oxygen in the water. This is not really true. Oxygen is introduced to the water through agitation of the surface. If you have a water pump that is constantly moving the surface of the water, it will allow diffusion of oxygen into the livewell. The airpump does the same thing essentially. It is not the bubbles of oxygen putting oxygen in the water, it is the surface agitation when they pop and gurgle at the top. Basically, if you have good water movement and don't let the temps get high (80+) your fish will be fine, you don't need an airpump.

With the transducer, I'm not sure if you mean installing it inside the boat? I can't imagine it would work correctly if it was trying to read through the hull of the boat. I would definitely mount it on the transom.

Good luck with the mods, have fun doing it!

From what I understand the thru-the-hull transducer will only work on a fiberglass boat.

Well it has been a very weeks for me busy past few weeks for me. My goal was to have the boat ready to go fishing by Easter, and I made it. I am still have to put in the 2 rear sides, but the rest is ready. Took it out today for my test drive, handled great. Here are photos of the project, now I didn't get every step, but you will be able to see the overall build. To review this project, I used aluminum sheets for the flooring and sides. Made a front storage area for ropes, tackle box, etc.. Have running lights and power for the live well, (cooler) operated by a switch panel. Trolling motor mount on front with electrical run and plug in. The trolling motor circuit is direct to the battery with a 50amp breaker. The rest of the electrical is fused with a 30amp. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer. I like to thank all the other projects I reviewed on this site that helped give me ideas or to answer the many questions on how to accomplish this project. Kentucky Lake here I come.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 2,347
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 2,347
Hello, The carpeting came from lowes. I used their outdoor carpetting glue, that sticks to everything. Depending on humidity you have about 30 minutes before it gets tacky, enough time to get corners or folds properly pressed in place.

Regards,

Latest posts