Aluminum Boat: Transom Corner Braces Cracked

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinBoats23

Reaction score
Hoping to get some help, I am looking at a 14 foot aluminum V Hull boat and noticed both aluminum transom corner braces are cracked. The owner said he noticed them after he purchased the boat and used JB Weld in an attempt to fix them. Any thoughts? Thank you

Attachments

• Resized_20230621_164940 (2).jpeg
    Resized_20230621_164940 (2).jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2
Are they made from sheetmetal or are they cast ?? If cast a support plate underneath screwed into position then filled with epoxy might work. If sheet metal then welding or same fix as a casting

Are they made from sheetmetal or are they cast ?? If cast a support plate underneath screwed into position then filled with epoxy might work. If sheet metal then welding or same fix as a casting
They appear cast to me.

What brand? They almost look homemade …
The Boat is a 1989 Aluminum Astro 14V, I have tried to do some research on this model but have not been able to find much on this particular model.

How about this. Remove one and shove it into some sand. Fill the void with molten aluminum. Voila! a new corner piece! It is my understanding that aluminum has a low melting point. I've seen a few short vids lately showing people casting all sorts of stuff out of alum. Might be worth a try.

Hoping to get some help, I am looking at a 14 foot aluminum V Hull boat and noticed both aluminum transom corner braces are cracked. The owner said he noticed them after he purchased the boat and used JB Weld in an attempt to fix them. Any thoughts? Thank you
Put a alum plate over the top and screw it down or bolt it down ,done

Why not remove part and take it to a good tig welder and have it repaired.?

Thank you for the advice, I have not bought the boat yet trying to get an idea if it is worth the price with the work needed to correct the issue properly.

WOW. Cast aluminum is not easy to weld. A poor cast is almost impossible to weld. Given that these are braces am betting the cast is of decent quality. Joint prep preheat and post heat is required. Several special cast welding rods are on the market. It can be done.

WOW. Cast aluminum is not easy to weld. A poor cast is almost impossible to weld. Given that these are braces am betting the cast is of decent quality. Joint prep preheat and post heat is required. Several special cast welding rods are on the market. It can be done.
It absolutely can be done, I have had broken ears welded back on to a cast aluminum Muncy 4 speed transmission case.

Lots of pre-heat if you are welding cast.

The boat I am working on had no corner brackets, so I made one out of old scrap aluminum, using a MIG welder. Turned out pretty decent. Not beautiful, but it fits the age and look of the boat:

Resized_20230619_135243.jpeg
Resized_20230619_135313.jpeg

Fix the underlying weak transom first, otherwise the brace will crack again if used as it was before. 14' open semi-v? My guess running a bigger then rated outboard and/or the kids out jumping wakes with it. Look to me like the crack originates from the weakest point, extending to the corner from rearward stress on the upper part of transom.

I had a cracked cast aluminum corner cap. I struggled with whether to repair, fabricate or replace with new. Ultimately, I wanted to keep the original StarCraft marked original, so I had it welded at my local aluminum fabrication shop. They did a great job and it only cost $30. For you, it might be best to have replacements fabricated - more pricey, but will look and work better. You can always buy new after market caps, but they’re $200+ for a set! Good luck…
https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m10...MIweCB4pXZ_wIVwdCGCh1OzgovEAQYAyABEgJ4-fD_BwE

Attachments

• IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
I had a cracked cast aluminum corner cap. I struggled with whether to repair, fabricate or replace with new. Ultimately, I wanted to keep the original StarCraft marked original, so I had it welded at my local aluminum fabrication shop. They did a great job and it only cost $30. For you, it might be best to have replacements fabricated - more pricey, but will look and work better. You can always buy new after market caps, but they’re $200+ for a set! Good luck…
https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m10...MIweCB4pXZ_wIVwdCGCh1OzgovEAQYAyABEgJ4-fD_BwE
Thank you!

Thank you!

Fix the underlying weak transom first, otherwise the brace will crack again if used as it was before. 14' open semi-v? My guess running a bigger then rated outboard and/or the kids out jumping wakes with it. Look to me like the crack originates from the weakest point, extending to the corner from rearward stress on the upper part of transom

You really want the best advice? Since this type of boat is common and dirt cheap, this is a hard pass. Unless you get it for free maybe......