An Alarming Trend. :O

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What, what, what??? I thought you weren't going to do anything to your boats because "it is what it is"?

I knew you wouldn't be able to stand watching everybody do stuff to their boats on this site and just let yours sit there. :wink:

jigngrub said:
What, what, what??? I thought you weren't going to do anything to your boats because "it is what it is"?

I knew you wouldn't be able to stand watching everybody do stuff to their boats on this site and just let yours sit there. :wink:

jigngrub? You got a memory like my ex-wife. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that was the OTHER boat, the 12ftr. At best, that boat can only be a pond, small river boat. This is 14ft of serious neglect and moderate abuse. And, and...and...lemmee see...and I'm putting something IN it, not doing something To it.

So there.
:wink:

lol awesome mann looks like shes coming along nicely!!!, i'm redoing my trailer right now. My neighbor walked over and looked in my garage and asked weres the trailer, i pointed to the right corner then to the left corner and the pointed to half the frame hanging from the celing, he just said "Hmm" then walked off shaking his head, man some people just never understand!!!

Looks like a trailer bomb went off in my garage the thing is just scattered!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, web search on motor weight came up with this partial list:

1992 Evinrude catalog

2 cylinder, 521 cc platform, 20/25/30/35 HP
15 inch shaft, rope start -- 115 lbs
15 inch shaft, elec. start -- 118 lbs
20 inch shaft, rope start -- 117 lbs
20 inch shaft, elec. start -- 120 lbs

Mercury 1977 brochure:

7.5 + 9.8hp...64 & 71lbs-ES(elec start)
20hp...94 & 101lbs-ES

2 strokes only:
9.9 + 15hp...74lbs
20 + 25hp...112lbs
30hp...163lbs

(some of these numbers come from a 2006 post on another site. not verified, but seem about right.)

Kismet, i have you say your my favorite poster. You have a certain way of wording things that just makes me laugh.

What i am trying to say is, keep buying, working, and farting around on as many things as you possibly can and keep us updated! Haha.

"Mothers...tell your children...not to do as I have done...."

So, with some healing time for boat-inflicted damage (elder abuse?), and one heckovalot of driving around trying to find what should SIMPLE stuff, went back at it. Living out in the country, 25 miles from any town with more than just the basics: Gas station, food store, three bars, and a part-time restaurant, makes for a fair amount of mileage accumulation.

Got a sheet of 1/2 inch exterior plywood for decking, cut to...er...call it 30x42, 31x43, and 24 by something else. Applied coats of spar varnish. Installed replacement transom pieces of 3/4in exterior plywood.--two laminated inside, one bolted outside.
reartransomreplacement.jpg

Then revisited the plan to have drop-in decking of minimal height. I have no argument with the existing seats and their placement. I was fortunate enough to get two like-new seats from Bulldog, which should arrive this week. Nice man, good person, he is. :) Figure on one swivel seat up front and one for my skinny ole butt in back. Not sure what to do about the bow floor. I like the depth of it for leg room, but it is currently the site of the eternal accumulation of mastic and looks like a war zone.

Took my decking pieces and some adhesive, having driven 70 miles round-trip to a super-sized home building store just to get the pipe insulation in a color other than black. Of course, managed to spend $70 there because I was like a 4 year-old in Toy'sR Us. Went through every darned department, looking for alternative floor covering for the deck. Examined and dismissed carpet runners, indoor/outdoor carpet, floor mats, cushioned work-station ergonomic? floor coverings, walnut or polystyrene beads to be added to paint, and truck bed liner paints. Most of this stuff was in dark colors, which surprised me. Somebody must prefer lighter colors, but apparently they don't shop there.

A good idea whose time has not come
screenfloorbackdeck.jpg

This was a brilliant plan, partially induced by smelling spar urethane for two hours, which involved using aluminum window screening, to be held down by the adhesive quality of the wet spar urethane.. THAT didn't work, so I stapled it, and applied yet another coat to get great adhesion.

I did not get great adhesion, but I did use one heckovalot of expensive spar stuff. My thinking (addled) was that I wanted something with traction, light weight, which was impervious to water covering. Well, it will provide traction, it is light, and is impervious to water. It is also fragile and will tear, doesn't adhere with the wood protection, and to put some glue down to hold it would probably fill up most of the texture which provides the traction. It also looks stupid. Works for the moment to hold the gas can, and with the old pool noodles, doesn't rattle around.

Next step, put the pipe insulation around the decking in front of the rear seat. This worked a charm! I then used a little adhesive to put the pool noodles under the 1/2in plywood where it bowed when I stood on it. (I'm somewhere between 190-170 lbs...dunno. I threw out the scale when I went on a restricted diet at the beginning of March. Told my kids to buy me a scale for my birthday in June.)
noodlessupportingfirstdeckwithpipeinsulation.jpg

It holds my weight, doesn't slide, no gouging of the sides of the boat by the plywood, and is supported by the expanded foam supports on sides and belly.

Next to the decking in front of the second seat. This was a little more problematic, since I am dumb. (Don't make fun of dumb people, we have a hard time with stuff.)

The plywood wouldn't lie flat, even though I carefully measured to make sure the supports were the same height. Just an aggravation to me. I got out of the boat and looked at it, glaring. I looked under the boat. hmmmmm. I lifted up the deck and observed that that whole "semi-v" design involved the ribs rising up further from the belly towards the front. Since I was using some lift from the ribs, the front of the decking need longer support. sighhhhhhhhhhh. duh.

Fine. I cut a piece of 2x4, nailed the sunnvagun in, and it was firm, stable, and didn't slide. But I had to remove two of my beautiful support noodle-pieces. (Odd fact, I really like cutting pool noodles. Can't say why, but there's something about how easily they accommodate themselves to being modified.)Front support.
nerfmazesecondseatdecksupport.jpg

Rear-most support
nerfsupportseconddeckrear.jpg

Then, having gone to another town, this one a 50 mile round-trip, where I picked up a segment of textured vinyl linoleum (marine? we don't have marine vinyl, sir. Have you tried the recruiting office? hee hee. grrrr.) Screw it, it is temporary. I tacked it down with 6 dots of Sportsman's Goop...a silicone product. I didn't trim it yet, don't know whether I'll pull the pipe insulation off and put the vinyl to the exact edge of the wood, or trim it to the insulation. Not a big deal, I'm still looking for a floor covering, and with Bulldog's seats arriving, I'll try and find a color not too discordant with their excellent upholstery.

vinylfloorfrontdeckwithpipeinsulationprotection.jpg

backdeckwithvinylandpipeinsulationsupport.jpg

floorvinylwithpipeinsulationlookingback.jpg

backtofrontvinyldeckwithrollededge.jpg

So, there we are. The decking is stable, strong, didn't fly up when the boat was trailered to the lake, has moderate traction, and I can lift it out very easily. Had some engine problems, so I'll probably go out again soon, this time with the dog for his first trip in the boat.

I have hesitated to get into my little project, because I go back over the extensive and professional conversion work done by other guys here. This doesn't compare, but it has gotten me off my duff and may work out. What the heck, the water and the fish don't care.

Excelsior !!!

Kismet said:
...... but it has gotten me off my duff and may work out. What the heck, the water and the fish don't care.

and THAT is what working on tin boats is all about!!!!

Great job!

Enjoyed your posts, my only suggestion would be to lose the linoleum and replace with entrance mats. I got one at menards for my boat 4x6 size, cut it in half and used for front and back. Being very short nap carpet on top and rubber on bottom means you won't slip on it. That linoleum will be a deathtrap when wet. BTW, that entrance mat was about $7 at menards on sale of course. It is also easy to take out and spray clean / dry.
Tim

All I can say is welcome to the club. I've bought three boats in the past 3 years. Sold one to a dear friend because I just didn't need it. But...I still have two. My tin and my glass. It's a disease, but I'm happy with it. If I had more time...I'd probably buy more and work on them to resell...but any time I have that I'm not required to be with the family or work....I'm on the water.

Life is still very good and I am blessed!

Well, the swivel seats are in, although it was nip-and-tuck for a while. Bulldog and others suggested the best way: tape the bolts in place, then place the support wood over them, THEN put washers and nuts on. Others have suggested cutting a hole in the side of the bench seats and putting up a support plate (or washers) under, then using the space as (small) storage. Still others have said to use toggle nuts.

I could only reckon a way using 3/4in exterior plywood, stained and spar-ed, then drilled with an offset to level the base nuts. Worked pretty well, generally speaking. Still a frustration-filled job for me, but a lot of that is my skill level. I mounted the seats on the plywood, then bolted one end where the underside was open to to me--by the hull. The other side got "big mother" sheet metal screws. Solid now, and I'll see how it progresses. May use some silicone and heavy pressure to let the glue set up if I get any wobble.

May reduce the width of the flooring, just to lower it a bit. Still looking around for a material to cover the decking that is light in color, and weight, and now...with the new seats...color coordinated with the seat vinyl.

Finally, a bit of whimsy: Got the transom name (after a GREAT tv series "FIREFLY," sort of a cowboys in Space scenario. This was followed by a great movie, SERENITY) wherein the ship was named Serenity, and pieces kept falling off. :) I can relate.

Here we are:
swivelnutsfinallyinplace.jpg

rearswivelseatside.jpg

rearseatonswivelfacingfront.jpg

bothswivelseatsinandupfromfront.jpg

Transom, with "builder's" plate :)
transomwithfireflyandserenitylegend.jpg

(Edit: I know ships get named, boats do not. I don't care. :) )

fool4fish1226 said:
Don't worry to much, a bunch of us have the same sickness and if sixguns is still alive we should all be fine :LOL2:

LOL, I just noticed this! I still suffer from anxiety attacks when looking at craigslist but I'm getting better! *shakes* I should have been divorced and living out of a cardboard box long ago. Refer to my avatar for current metal status.

The bits and pieces come together, finally !

Surrendered to reality and stopped looking for deck covering. Went upstairs and stole 8 feet of the hallway runner, indoor/outdoor rug (Gotta be a rug, you'll understand later.)

Got some implement paint which would complement the blue rug...or as close as the limited selection allowed. It is sort of bright, but went on heavy and well. Brushed on the paint over the mastic and ?original? floor paint line. Then, covered the part of the decking that would show with the blue rug (wait for it) tacked down with silicone. Happily, I had no need for traction additives, because that infernal mastic was bumpy enough! (Actually, none of it is in a place where you would stand.)

Didn't want to give up the leg room depth in the bow, so I took some packing closed cell squares (thank you, Bulldog), tacked them down, and then tacked the rug to it. I molded it over the ribs, with the underlayment fitted between the ribs. You can see the rise of the ribs in the carpet, but works just fine.

Then...dunno, did some other stuff. I don't remember. I'm very tired. :)

Here:

alumapaintedcarpetseatsfromfront.jpg

Bumps in bow
alumafrontleftcarpetpaintseats.jpg

frontcarpetpaint.jpg

From back to front
alumafromrearleftsidefacingforwardcarpetpaint.jpg

That pink foam is the stuff under the rug up front. It also holds coffee (which had spilled three times on trips to the lake.)
alumafromrearcarpetpaintseatscupholder.jpg

alumapaintedcarpetseatsfromfront.jpg

Well, there it is. Not perfect, but ok. Things I'm happy with are the removable decks, the pipe insulation edging, the pool noodle support (so no carpentry), and some little stuff you don't care about.

The rug was the deciding element because (you ready?)

"The rug ties the whole (room) boat together."
(Ty, Dude.)

I'll mess with little things, and everything there can be taken out, or painted over, but it travels well, doesn't rattle, has good stability within reason...and...it is done.

Thank you, one and all, for your help and support. =D>

Kis

At first glance, I thought you had mounted a toilet paper roll to the side of your boat .... then I noticed it was your anchor line and lost all respect for you.

Lookin' good Kiz!

I knew comfortable seats would show up somewhere down the line, they just make spending time in a boat so much more enjoyable.

jigngrub said:
Lookin' good Kiz!

I knew comfortable seats would show up somewhere down the line, they just make spending time in a boat so much more enjoyable.

+1, Looks great and I bet it seats great as well.

JamesM56alum said:
MrSimon said:
At first glance, I thought you had mounted a toilet paper roll to the side of your boat .... then I noticed it was your anchor line and lost all respect for you.

Ease up. :roll:

Sorry. Weak attempt at sarcasm. I was trying to imply that mounting a toilet paper roll would be awesome, and that anything else would be inferior.