Are these off-brand trolling motors any good?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the above. I'm cheap and I will try to save money however I can. Hell I save my aluminum cans and anything I can scrap to include aerosol cans figure it all adds when I'm gonna go to the scrap once in a while anyways from crap I accumulate working on cars, boats, engines, tractors etc. Hence why my minnkota I was patient and looked for a decent deal on a used one. My point is there are good ways to save money, but sometimes your better off spending more upfront to save in the long run. Another case of this a friend of mine who is equally cheap as I tried to cheap out on repairing his trolling motor a powerdrive like mine just with the I pilot though. He had some fishing line he didn't know was tangled in the output shaft that destroyed his seals causing water to destroy the bearings in the motor. So he tore it down got new seals and bearings I think for around $50. Once again good minnkota parts support worth it I think. Upon tearing it down he found his prop shaft was bent slightly he opted to straighten it best he could with mallet/hammer opting against my advice to not be cheap for once and get a new shaft as well. Long story short shortly after the repairs and putting it together the motor is making weird noises again probably due to the shaft I wouldn't be surprised if he had water intrusion in the motor again due to not replacing the shaft. I personally value my precious time I get to fish nothing pisses me off much more than something ruining that due to something preventable like a trolling motor on the fritz. Be it due to me cheaping out on the repair of it or the motor itself.

Good discussion. There are times when it is right to spend the money, and times when it isn't.

Occasionally, the decision is forced on to you.

The kitchen faucet was dripping for the last week or so. This morning, yes, this morning, I decided to pull it apart and get a "repair kit". Shouldn't be a problem for an American Standard Kitchen Faucet, right???

Ha! FOUR different sources (the only sources in this little town), didn't have the kit. Two Hardware stores, one plumbing supply house, and Lowes.

I came home with a new O-ring. Pulled hard on each little spring to lengthen them. Smeared some Plumber's Grease on everything. Put it back together.

Voila! No leaks, no drips, everything works. The total cost of repair was 43 cents for the O-ring.

Sometimes Cheap is the ONLY way to get something done.

richg99

I agree rich if I can do it right for less I will. Something like that faucet I would have done the same. Heck on my trolling motor I was patient and picked up a deal on a perfect used one to save some money, but I don't think I would have tried to save money by getting a trolling motor from brand unknown. My truck for another example it's got a lot of miles almost 210k 2002 suburban around 195k I had a front wheel bearing getting worn. I knew that if the one was going they were both the factory originals the other one wasn't too far behind I figured it was money and time ahead to just do them both to prevent a issue while out in no where towing my boat somewhere. I also figured the original USA made Timken bearings in it lasted to almost 200k why try and save a few bucks on the chinese made parts store house brand bearings I just searched for the best deal on the timken bearings happened to be from ebay. Even the though the house brand ones carry the lifetime warranty I don't want to replace them again. This was a case where yes I saved some money again on the timkens online vs dealer/parts store but didn't feel like saving every penny by only doing one or going with house brand parts store stuff that never seems to last. But I'll admit I'm cheap the passenger side seat power adjustment in my truck to move the seat forward and backward is broken, but I'm not going to bother spending the time and money to fix it as it doesn't hinder the performance, reliability, or function as a truck.

Lots of good points made, I went with a minnkota as my primary motor but for a backup to hang on the rear of the boat and possibly or hopefully never gets used I have no problem with saving a few bucks on the knockoff especially being it's a watersnake which seem to get the best ratings of the cheaper motors and does have a dealer network.

bcbouy said:
most of the off brand tm's are not considered off brand in europe,asia and australia.just because they're new to north america doesn't mean they're total junk.a nice glass of minn kota cool aid anyone?

Anyone is entitled to their opinion on any product, but saying owner brand loyalty and being aware of brand recognition for pre purchase help is cultish is extremely ill mannered. I bought MK because it's a respected American company with a fine track record with many thousands of satisfied owners to back me up.

You are entitled to your opinion, but not to insult those of us with a different view.

When is the last time an off brand advertised on a site we read? How about in print? Do they sponsor bass pros or tournaments? What do they do for the sport except for steal patents and make a quick buck? What product have they innovated with their profits that makes your life easy? Nothing. There is a little more to a name brand than just a few bucks.
My buddy is getting ready to release a product. He can have it manufactured in China cheaper but then they will steal and manufacture the idea quicker. He will have a good 5 year run if he manufactures here and keeps sales numbers a secret. If he even asks for a quote from a China manufacture they may just steal it or wait to see how fast he orders a second round of product. If it's fast then they will steal and
produce a similar product. He will be out of buisness in 2 years.
So if you want the innovators of new products to keep on inovating then buy from them. If your a selfish, cheap, dirtbag ho then give your money directly to China by buying the stolen knockoffs.

Stumpalump said:
When is the last time an off brand advertised on a site we read? How about in print? Do they sponsor bass pros or tournaments? What do they do for the sport except for steal patents and make a quick buck? What product have they innovated with their profits that makes your life easy? Nothing. There is a little more to a name brand than just a few bucks.

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!

However if I were to run a small jon on electric only lakes I would have a minn kota or motor guide up front with one or two off brands with more thrust on the back, save money and get places quicker. but the primary motor i would be using would be one I'm familiar with and is tried and true

Latest posts