basic wiring for a 14 ft flatbottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterfowler1

Reaction score
So i have reached the point in my build of the Swamp Donkey where the electricity comes into play... I kinda have and idea of how i want to wire it but am still unsure on how to start. I know I will be starting off by having a switch for the Navi lights, anchor light, head lights, and maybe a trolling motor in the future. These items will each have their own fuses for safety sake and will all be stored under the back seat of the boat with the switches sticking out for ease of access. the wires running from the front of the boat back will be in pvc pipe under the ribs that run up the side of the boat. I think i have this planned out fairly well, however im only 18 and Would like to do as good of job as I can... so any words of wisdom??????? :D Thanks!

1. Draw a picture, make sure to include the switches, fuses and any terminal blocks you use.
2. Gather supplies, make sure to get the correct wire gauge, enough wire to do the job and any connectors/heat shrink/etc. you might need.
3. Make sure you have any tools you'll need to do the job on hand. Borrow anything you don't have or buy it.
4. Think about sun, wind and rain effects. Make sure to include planning to protect your wiring in the process.
5. Give yourself enough time to do the job right and don't rush it. Clean wiring lasts much longer and gives less trouble.
6. Bundle ties make for much neater wiring jobs. use them

That should cover most of it.

Trolling motor on a circuit breaker, not a fuse, plus no need for a switch on the trolling motor. It has its own on/off switch.

See my signature, below, for my boat build. Think the electrical starts on page 5. Give it a read and ask any questions..