Battery for Navigation Lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltybob

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a 1436 Jon Boat and want permanent navigation lights instead of the ones with flashlight batteries that clamp onto the hull. The motor is manual start so I don’t need a battery except to provide electricity for the navigation lights and maybe a small trolling motor if I add one later on.

I have a couple of questions. First what size or model of 12v battery do you recommend? Secondly, should I buy the more expensive LED lights because they draw less electricity or the less expensive ones with regular bulbs.

Thanks very much for any help.

I haven't done it yet, but I am for the LED lights. For the battery I get the cheapest deep cycle one you can possibly get. I check with the battery company for their "seconds" or ones they can't sell as new. You normally get a good discount from them.

If you're going to use LED, might just get a lawn mower battery. It would be lighter, smaller, and unlikely to drain with LEDs being the only draw. Buy the deep-cycle when the time is appropriate.

Have fun, be safe.

I called I called Electro Battery in Tampa, Fl. and they recommend the following batteries manufactured by Universal Battery. They say these are deep cycle batteries while lawn mower batteries are cranking batteries.

One is 55 Amp, weighs 39 lbs., is 9” long x 5 ½” wide x 9 1/8” high: $125 new; $45 reconditioned.

Another is 35 Amp, weighs 23 lbs., is 7 ¾” long x 5” wide X 7 1/8 high: $64.50 new; $35 reconditioned.

I guess maybe I’ll go with one of these, reconditioned.

For nav lights and possibly a FF, check out the 12v deer feeder batteries, will power a Low mark 4 gps/2d FF all day long, led lights would be no problem either. Add a TM battery when you add a TM

There is no need to get a deep cycle battery for led lights, fish finder and what not. A small tractor battery will be just fine. I have 3 led navigation lights, fish finder, bilge pump, livewell fill pump and livewell recirculate pump off a tractor battery. If you choose to get a trolling motor at a later date then get a deep cycle. Lawn tractor battery is under $30.

Latest posts