Battery Idea!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InSaneFisherMan

Reaction score
Just bought a battery adapter with 12v voltage regulator for my craftsman c3 batteries ($30 on Amazon). Adapters are made for various batteries.

Since I have multiple batteries for my tools, I wanted to use them for other projects, but needed 12v.

Should work well on fish finders and if you already have batteries, saves on having to buy additional batteries.

Pictures is for a Dewalt battery adapter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_081534_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_081534_Firefox.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
Most ”12VDC” electronics, particularly devices with RF or Audio amplifiers prefer 13.8VDC. If you can find 13.8V versions go with them.

The quality of the power converters may also vary. Poorly designed (cheap) power converters may introduce unwanted noise into the powered systems and even other separately power systems.

My gut feeling is these power converters will likely cause more problems than they solve.

I use a Great Planes Triton charger on a lot of different types of batteries that I purchased about 15 years ago from my RC aircraft hobby. It will charge different types of batteries and gives you the ability to see how many milliamps it takes to charge and discharge a battery. You can cycle the battery to bring it back to life in some instances. I have used it on all kinds of rechargeable batteries in and around the house and work. You can tell it the parameters you want it to charge or discharge to. It has served me very well.

Triton Review

Most ”12VDC” electronics, particularly devices with RF or Audio amplifiers prefer 13.8VDC. If you can find 13.8V versions go with them.
I would follow the manual for what the device requires. Can't say I ever read one that said 13.8v.

My echo map uhd says 9-18v, and my Garmin Striker 4 says 10-20v.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_162015_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_162015_Samsung Notes.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
I considered it as well and tried something similar. I have a Plethora of Milwaukee M12 batteries, so I purchased the battery adapter and pigtails. I wanted to run my graphs and livescope off of it.

The problems I encountered were that the M12 batteries do not have their own BMS, it's built into the tools and charger. So no overcharge or discharge protection (very dangerous to run a lithium battery without it!), and that I knew I would eventually forget to charge the batteries or grab them off the charger. The less I have to remember, the better.

I know a lot of guys are running their livescope and graphs off of 18-20v drill batteries. Garmin GPSmap units and the livescope blackbox will run on higher voltages without issue. I don't feel like voltage that high really helps anything, but livescope performance starts to get pretty dismal below 12.5 volts, so it doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
The problems I encountered were that the M12 batteries do not have their own BMS, it's built into the tools and charger.
Great point, I would be surprised, if any modern battery pack (not individual cells) didn’t have built in protection. My batteries get subjected to more abuse than the tools.

I really don't have high confidence in products made in China, but on many products there is no choice.

So as stated above by MrGiggles, verify your battery specs.

Here is what my batteries claim:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106_071100_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_071100_Firefox.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure I understand the benefit of or what is accomplished by doing this. Why is this better than simply getting a small 12V battery for the fish finder at about the same cost as the adaptor?
If you have multiple tool batteries and chargers, it may save you from having another battery. The buck 24vdc to 12vdc converter adds 1/3 of cost, but it's only needed if you need 12vdc.

Haven't tried yet, but they should work well in the grand kids power wheels and for my 12v water pump.

5ah drill battery is not going to run a boat, but it will power a 1a fish finder or 1a navigation lights for about 5 hours.

Great point, I would be surprised, if any modern battery pack (not individual cells) didn’t have built in protection. My batteries get subjected to more abuse than the tools.

I really don't have high confidence in products made in China, but on many products there is no choice.

So as stated above by MrGiggles, verify your battery specs.

Here is what my batteries claim:

From what I have seen the M12 platform is kinda unique in that aspect. I know the M18 batteries do have their own BMS, so do most other higher voltage battery packs.

Perhaps Milwuakee decided to put the BMS in the tools for packaging, or because the original M12 1.5ah batteries only had three cells and it was unnecessary. Hard to say.

I would follow the manual for what the device requires. Can't say I ever read one that said 13.8v.

My echo map uhd says 9-18v, and my Garmin Striker 4 says 10-20v.
If you have multiple tool batteries and chargers, it may save you from having another battery. The buck 24vdc to 12vdc converter adds 1/3 of cost, but it's only needed if you need 12vdc.

Haven't tried yet, but they should work well in the grand kids power wheels and for my 12v water pump.

5ah drill battery is not going to run a boat, but it will power a 1a fish finder or 1a navigation lights for about 5 hours.

Go for it if you think it makes sense. I think it’s a recipe for problems. A battery has clean power. A cheap power converter from China probably does not.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.png
    IMG_4065.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
CRUDE but EFFECTIVE... yea it's ugly but a motorcycle innertube and some zip ties and its acceptable..
so this mounts into the fishing pole holder.. at the bottom end is the battery holder for Milwaukee 12 batteries
powers up the Striker 4 for a whole day of fishing... the Striker 4 runs find with the battery volts down to 10v..

Attachments

• pontoonboatm.JPG
    pontoonboatm.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
A battery has clean power. A cheap power converter from China probably does not.
Very good points.
Many buck converter designs, are probably going to have DC ripple. A battery should not.

Just assumed that most people who would use a tool battery are in a kayak or very basic small tin and would connect a fish finder (if input voltage allows) directly to battery.

If you need to reduce the battery voltage for fish finder, a buck converter may not be for you.

Its not, you get what you pay for, its you pay for what you choose. My 30a buck converter is for other projects.

Dewalt 20V 5Ahr batteries are selling at Homeless Depot for over a $100. Or catch a sale and they are $150 for a pair. A small LifePO could be found for less, assuming that you already have a charger. This is how I powered the yak fish finder for many years.

I didn’t mean to be critical of your idea, Insanefisherman. It’s just that I’ve worked with boost/buck converters quite a bit with amateur radio. The rule of thumb is, the good one aren’t cheap and the cheap ones aren’t good.

The TimeUSB LiFePO4 batteries are cheap, safe and very effective, and come in various sizes.

That being said, if you have a bunch of batteries already, a lot of guys are using 18, 20 or 24V tool batteries to power a lot of stuff. My Garmin loves running off 24V, for what it's worth.

Not sure what I think of the voltage adapter. It might suck a lot of juice to run. The fact that it has fins means it gets hot, which is wasted power, possibly a lot of it.

I have a cheap inverter that works great, but it draws almost as much juice as what I'm using it to power.

Last edited:

Consider cost...about ten years back I bought a MAX wheel chair deep cycle battery, about the size of an atv battery. Used it in my grandaughters power wheels.....awesome, doubled run time and 2x the speed. Also use it for my boom sprayer on my side x side and for my 36 lb trolling motor, get over two hours run time on that in small ponds. Also used it in my kayak for sonar, all day and still good !!
This battery is still availiable today, top seller at Amazon. Best part it costs about 40 bucks shipped to your door !! Most drill batteries cost more than that ! I do keep the battery on a maintainer and after 10 years it still works perfectly...12 volt that actually measures 12.8 volts at 18 ah...maintenence free deep cycle...