Battery Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
Guys,

Looking on suggestions on what type and size battery I should get for my 14' V-Hull. Right now I just have plans to run a trolling motor on it but later would also like to have a fish finder, bilge pump, lights, maybe a live well, and possibly a radio. Do I just need 1 average size one, one big one, or a couple...?

Depending on how big the lakes are you fish and how much you move around - I would get the largest sized battery I can (like a 31 series deep cycle) for your trolling motor. For all of your electronics, I would get a smaller battery like a 24 series deep cycle - it will last a whole day running all of those devices

Russ,

I have a gift card to bass pro shops for around $100. I am probably going to spend a lot more on this for a desent 31 series..right?

if you've got a $100 gift card - then I would buy the most I could afford in their AGM batteries... I think they have some there for about $180.

But for $100, you can probably get one of their best wet cell batts

It all depends on what size trolling motor you plan on running. I use a group 24 battery and have a Lund WC16 with a 30# thrust Minnkota. That setup has served me welll for the last 3 years. The battery will last me a long camping weekend if i only use the motor on speed 2.

Another thing to consider is an onboard battery charger/maintainer. Minnkota makes one that keeps the battery fresh at all time. Anytime my boat is parked in the backyard, it's plugged in.