bed liner on the bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
i know some of you guys have done this with your boats...i just painted the bottom of my newly acquired 14' flatbottom with this. (only the bottom, underneath) I did 3 coats and it seems rock solid. I used the plastikote stuff from walmart and put it over aluminum primer. I was just wonder if any of you guys that did this a while back have had any problems with it or if it has held pretty good over time.

thanks

ps. I got my boat, trolling motor, and trailer. all i need to complete the project is an outboard. im doing my deck this weekend.

bottom of the outside...like i flipped the boat over and painted the bottom where its in the water.

I did it on my old flatbottom on the bottom of the outside. I also used the Wal-Mart stuff. It worked ok, sealed up some ol leaky rivets but it was not near as tough and durable as the actual rhino liner in the bed of my truck is. It chipped and peeled rather easily.

RCP said:
I did it on my old flatbottom on the bottom of the outside. I also used the Wal-Mart stuff. It worked ok, sealed up some ol leaky rivets but it was not near as tough and durable as the actual rhino liner in the bed of my truck is. It chipped and peeled rather easily.

I have read the same thing....It chips and peels easily.

Keep us posted on how it holds up. Maybe take some now pictures and then later pictures?

Jim said:
RCP said:

Keep us posted on how it holds up. Maybe take some now pictures and then later pictures?

Wouldn't this contribute additional drag, causing slower speed? Since the liner paint is rough and not smooth like normal paint?

on my last two (2) boats, i put one thick coat of the dupli color stuff, on the inside, and it worked fined... don't know about the outside

fragdemon said:
Jim said:
RCP said:

Wouldn't this contribute additional drag, causing slower speed? Since the liner paint is rough and not smooth like normal paint?

Once you get to a high enough speed the textured surface will create bubbles and thus there will be less hull to water contact resulting in less friction and higher speeds. Of course this theory works only on paper and in my head. :lol:

RCP:
Do you think that it did not hold up becouse of the product (Walmart) or becouse it was on the bottom of the boat?

I was interested in doing this to my jon boat.Partly to quite the pounding.I know some people use 2 part epoxy concrete floor paint.Works but it's got to have a rough surface,80 grit.It finishes smooth.If your hull is smooth the paint will look like a base clear coat.I have the same leaky rivet problem.I don't wanna purchase the tools to re rivet the hull.Seems like the bed liner coating would be heavy.

To figure out how heavy it would be do this:
Measure the area you want to cover.
Go to a place that sells the bed liner material for DIY'ers (parts store, Walmart, etc...)
Find out how much you will need to do the job by reading coverage rates on the can.
Weigh the can(s) with you fish scale you brought with you.

Remember that even if it adds 20 pounds, it is fully and evenly distributed over the entire boat so it won't change the trim of the boat.

Latest posts