Bench seat to storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawghunters

Reaction score
Fishing out of my 14' Jon this year I've realized how much of a waste of space the middle bench seat is on my boat. I understand it's structural element of the boat, but wanted to make it useful. After a little measuring I found that I could make storage for my large battery and some plastic Plano boxes. Here are a few pics of how it turned out. It's really solid and gonna save me some floor space. And the foam that was removed will be added under the small low deck I have in the front of the boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,068
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,068
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,066
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,066
Looks good. One never can have too much storage. With the way your ribs go up the sides of the boat I wouldn't have been afraid to pull the seat out altogether if that's what I wanted. Mine doesn't have the middle seat anymore & I don't have ribs going up the sides. I really like the room it opened up.

Storage is good, lack of flotation is bad. I hope you're going to replace it. If so, be sure not to use white styrofoam. Instead, you'll want to use closed-cell insulation foam. The pink/blue insulation foam board from Lowes/HD works well.

My understanding is the foam isn't in the boat for flotation purposes but incase the boat capsizes. So taking foam out won't make the boat float less but my hurt you in the event you capsize. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337386#p337386 said:
DrNip » 13 minutes ago[/url]"]My understanding is the foam isn't in the boat for flotation purposes but incase the boat capsizes. So taking foam out won't make the boat float less but my hurt you in the event you capsize. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct foam does not help your boat float during normal operation - It is in there for emergencies, capsizing, get swamped, getting a large hole etc. - Foam is always a point of discussion and everyone has their opinions.

The foam is for if the boat takes on water. As I said, I will be replacing the foam under the front deck. It'll be more than was in the bench seat.

what fool4fish said PLUS flotation foam is like insurance....you need it, but hope that you'll never need to use it!

"]The foam is for if the boat takes on water. As I said, I will be replacing the foam under the front deck. It'll be more than was in the bench seat.[/quote]

The one time I needed it, it worked. I made it to the ramp with the boat, motors and most of my gear when the boat was full of water and waves were coming over the transom.

DuraCraft said:
Now that's good to know! I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my middle seat. I'm guessing there's some kind of foam inside, whatever they used in about 1953 when it was built.

I really like how it turned out. Just make sure to measure and plan it out carefully. Once you start cuttin, there's no going back haha

Latest posts