best approach

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouttimeiv

Reaction score
ok did a leak test and found small holes (4)on the bottom ,what would be the best way to seal these holes? Remember newbie here so any product names and where I could pick them up would be great
Thanks Mark

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 457
  • bottom2.jpg
    bottom2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 457
Best way is have them welded

But - if you want to DIY and you are not a welder- I have had luck using epoxy - I used JFB Weld to fix a very small hole and it is still holding after 5 years

Use the search feature (upper rh corner) and you will find tons of info on various ways people have fixed small holes

I agree with the Captain, if you can go the welding route, its probably best. I will caution you on the using JB water weld as opposed to regular JB weld. I tried using the JB water weld and had really mixed results. I had a number of bolt and screw holes in my boat and tried patching them with the JB WW, about 3/4 of the repairs didn't hold and I ended up using regular JB weld which so far seems to have done the trick. You may also want to consider getting some Gluvit and sealing the rest of your seams/rivets. Good luck with your boat.

Link for Gluvit:

https://www.amazon.com/Travaco-Gluv...ie=UTF8&qid=1376137302&sr=8-1&keywords=gluvit

OK, newbie owner?

Good for you. It may never end. :)

As the real smart guys said, welding is, of course, best.

That said, JB Weld, will take care of the tiny problem you found. As a new owner, you got other things to spend money. Don't worry, the bottom won't fall out.

Clean the surfaces, lightly sand them, mix the two tubes according to instructions, apply, smooth and wait 24 hours. You'll have ?four?was it? nickel-sized patches and in a couple of days you can lightly sand them smooth. Won't even notice them.

It's ok. You'll be fine.

=D>

Thanks for the advice ,going to get the jb weld now and going to order the gluv-it this afternoon .
Mark