Blown Off Balsam - 06/06 (picture added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I took Baitcaster Jr. and his grandad to Balsam Lake yesterday for some Walleye fishing with pro guide Erik Luzak. It was raining and a strong wind was blowing out of the North. Nevertheless, we set out from the public dock in Rosedale in Erik's fully rigged Ranger bass boat. The lake was rough and the Ranger was getting airborne launching off waves as we were pelted hard with rain.

When we finally reached our destination, a part of the lake that was supposed to be sheltered, we found that it too was windy and wavy. Fortunately the rain stopped as soon as we got our lines in the water, but the wind was cold and our hands froze. Erik did a fine job keeping the Ranger in position despite the wind and waves.

Grandpa boated a nice-sized Walleye within minutes. Shortly after that he hooked into a small off-season smallmouth. Erik boated a small Walleye and I hooked into a decent sized off-season smallie that made a tremedous jump at the boat and threw the hook.

BC Jr.'s hands were so cold he barely had his line in the water. After 3 hours we couldn't take it anymore and packed it in.

We encountered an MNR road block on highway 35 on our way home. They were looking in coolers for illegally caught fish. All they found in our cooler was our uneaten lunch!

BC

Attachments

• grandpa wlleye.JPG
    grandpa wlleye.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 156
The pic reminds me of the summer after my senior year in highschool: my Grandpa took my dad and I on a fishing trip to Canada as a graduation present to me. We stayed at a resort, and a float plane would fly us into a different lake each day (on each lake was a small cabin and a few small fishing boats). It was fantastic: it was cold, it rained the whole time, and the wind never stopped blowing, but we were catching so many nice walleyes it didn't matter... That was some of the best Walleye fishing I have ever seen in my entire life.

Latest posts