Boatbuckle Tie-Downs: Transom or Gunwale?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkbre

Reaction score
In trying to make my boating/fishing more efficient and streamlined, I’m looking at buying the Boatbuckle tie down system for my trailer. These are units that bolt to the trailer and have retractable ratchet straps to hold down the transom or gunwale. The system looks like it’d have some nice features. More than anything, I wouldn’t have to take straps on and off, they’d always be at the ready.

My questions are:
Are there any pros or cons in where you tie down the stern of the boat? Is there a benefit to securing the boat at the transom as opposed to the gunwale?

Also, has anyone used these Boatbuckle retractable products and how do they work for ya?

By the way, I am securing a Lund WC16 to the trailer that does have guide-ons.

Location is largely a matter of personal preference. I have had them both ways and both work equally well.

I would most likely opt to put them where they would have the least tendency to flop around.

The only 2 drawbacks that I have seen to the retractable straps is that they freeze up in the winter rendering them useless and they have moving parts in the retractors that will eventually corrode and break or just stop working. However, it usually takes them several years to get to that point unless you are dunking them in saltwater.

Quackrstackr said:
Location is largely a matter of personal preference. I have had them both ways and both work equally well.

I would most likely opt to put them where they would have the least tendency to flop around.

The only 2 drawbacks that I have seen to the retractable straps is that they freeze up in the winter rendering them useless and they have moving parts in the retractors that will eventually corrode and break or just stop working. However, it usually takes them several years to get to that point unless you are dunking them in saltwater.

I was going to mention the saltwater as well.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I'm going to pass on them. As nice as they would be, my trailer would only be able to use the gunwale tie downs and those aren't sold in stainless. Although I mainly freshwater fish, I do take the boat out for crabbing a few times a year. Bummer, they look like a good product.