Bolting vs. Welding for Aluminum angle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about the same.I wouldn't use those aluminum "welding" rods that are made for a torch.They have a bad reputation for failing.I like all aluminum pop(cherry) style rivets to hold angle together.They have less profile than the head of a bolt or nut.

The rivets do have a lower profile than bolts and if the framework structure is well thought out and riveted, then when the deck is joined to the framework a "torsion box" is formed. a hollow core door is an example of a torsion box that is skinned on both sides: dimensionally stable, flat, ridgid and lightweight.

However, after traveling to Florida to vacation (and Louisiana also...don't know about other coastal states) at a Home Depot, I discovered some stainless steel fasteners for creating a faster "boarding up" system for hurricane protection.
The bolts were 1" or 1.5" SS washer head type with a low profile (lower prifile than a buttonhead). I picked up several boxes of them and some washerhead wing nuts also in SS (I use in my workshop for jigs etc). I will use them for decking infrastructure as well as through the hull. They offer an alternative.

Bottom line is a well conceived framing system will not require excess fasteners of any kind or style and lighterweight materials can be used.

Unless you are proficient in welding aluminum, you should stick with rivets and bolts. I used rivets in 99% on my frame and a couple of bolts where the downward load seemed to warrant the extra strength of a bolt.

I have to admit, I was lumping bolting and riveting together in my head, as opposed to welding.

I like the idea of riveting since bolts might have the disadvantages of 1) needing two side access to install, 2) loosening over time, and 3) taking more time to install.

Thanks to all who responded.

Ken

Latest posts