Braided line sucks! I'm going back to Stren.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fender66 said:
Please don't make me go there. My momma said, "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all." :mrgreen:

:cry: That is the nicest thing somebody has ever said to me, I love you too man!!

Captain Ahab said:
BassAddict said:
fender66 said:
Man I love the folks on this forum!

Even me? :D

NO

banahab.gif

I am a mono guy myself, 12lb suffix. Thats all i fish on any and all of my rods... Me and my buddy go fishing about 2-3 times a week and all he fishes is power pro, not sure what lb test but he always gets broken off way more than i do. Not sure why... But i have to make fun of him everytime he gets broken off because hes so cocky about his power pro :LOL2: Everyone has their own preferences, but ill stick to mono

I use Power Pro 30 on my spinning reels and 65 on my baitcasters with Seagar fluorocarbon leaders directly attached. I believe my pictures in the evidence thread speak volumes as to braids effectiveness.

I use the uni knot exclusively for tying on hooks and use a " slim beauty " knot for the direct attachment of the flouro.

I've also used Spyder Wire and while I prefer Power Pro I certainly don't think it's junk.

Either your knots are bad or one of your guides are, I highly doubt the Braid is bad.

I keep reading on here about how people are breaking off braided line while FW fishing - I have never broken off a fish on braided line and I use 10 lb test for most FW applications. (and yes, I catch pretty good sized fish) I can tie the braid to a fence post and there is no way I can break the line using any appropriate rod

I suggest that you have either bad knots, a bad guide on the rod or you are not using the appropriate equipment. Proper rod and drag settings will solve any break off problem with braided line.

Even if I snag, I always break off at the leader - and I will use 15 - 20lb floro leaders

redphysher said:
i never had any problems with pro line. I do know it is slick as all get out and i have had a standard clinch knot pull out. i always tie a standard clinch knot now and add 2 overhand knots.

Have you ever tried the Improved Clinch Knot? A whole lot easier and faster then trying to tie an extra knot or two on braided line. Im just asking. It is so simple to pass the tag end through the loop after the eye pass, put a little spit on it then pull tight. Never had one pull even with big 5 lbs l.m. bass pulling through lillies with it. I use 50 lbs braid, thats why im asking if you have tried that? Just bein curious.

I fish with braided line all the time (20# Power Pro) and people always give me crap...."I can't believe you fish with that junk" or at the reel repair shop "you want me to take that junk off there and put some line on it?"

Last fall, I'd had enough heckling and trash-talking, so, I swapped out to monofilament. But I guess after fishing with the braided for so long, I just don't like the mono. I couldn't feel my lure at the end of the line, not like I can with braided. Mono just has way too much stretch and give for my liking. With braided, I can put a minnow on a bottom rig, and I can feel the minnow twitching. With mono, I'm lucky if I can feel the weight of the rig on the end of the line.

So, I ended up going back to braided line.

The drawback to braided is that because it has no stretch, you have to fish with a very loose drag, particularly when fishing for sea trout, which are notorious for having soft mouths. Also, you ain't just gonna tie a knot in the braided and pop it like you can with mono....if you want to cut this stuff, you better have your knife or scissors. Braided line will cut the hell out of you if you wrap it around any part of your hand with pressure applied, unlike mono, which is a lot more forgiving.

I hear people say "but that braided line will cut into your reel arbor...." Yeah, that's why you put some backing on it, by winding on some 20 pound mono, then doing a blood knot, and then putting on the 150 yards of power pro.

"But it will cut your guides"

Well, my fishing rods (except for my fly rods) are all cheap models, so, if they last long enough for an eye to be cut by the braided line.....it's served its purpose.