Brand new to this forum and I need some advice: My boat modi

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigyfan

Reaction score
Here is my project I started...and then on to my concerns before I get to much further. Shes a 12 footer V hull and I paid 100 bucks and so far an extra 60 for supplies tools and paint...then 300 for a trailer that is on the way from harbor Freight and tools...so I am still under 500 bucks :)
boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat4.jpg

boat5.jpg
boat6.jpg
boat7.jpg
boat8.jpg

boat9.jpg

boat10.jpg

boat11.jpg

boat12.jpg

boat13.jpg

boat14.jpg

boat15.jpg

boat16.jpg

boat17.jpg

we have had a blast getting it to this point...it has not seen the water since I bought the shell so that is next we sealed the bottom and applied an epoxy undercoat and we are going to paint it up nice soon.

OK now my concerns...stability..I am a pretty big guy (around 230 on a good day) am I gong to be spending a lot of time in the water? my hope is to be able to stand and cast and have my boys sent up in chairs to do the same

I would really appreciate some input from guys who have experience

also, any tips tricks pointer or money savers as i embark on the last phase of my project...carpet, pedistals, seats and electronics..

Thanks all in advance...

Looks like a great project so far. You have the whole family involved. I would be nervous about the plywood your using. That chip board is notorious for coming apart when wet. Also, I think the height of the decks might be a bit too high. There are a couple threads that discuss the height of decks. I would read up on those and decide from there.

what's the size of the boat? It looks pretty small to me, in which case I think it might be unstable with that decking (especially with three people on it).

BaitCaster said:
what's the size of the boat? It looks pretty small to me, in which case I think it might be unstable with that decking (especially with three people on it).

it is 12 feet long and 48 inches wide

welcome
make sure everybody wears a lifejacket and go for it . the maiden voyage just the boat , put fishin' stuff in after you see how stable it is . it sucks divin' for it ! have fun...... phone and wallet in ziplock

bigyfan said:
BaitCaster said:

it is 12 feet long and 48 inches wide

At 48" wide (assuming that measurement is across the floor) it should be pretty stable. Only one way to find out for sure!

flatboat said:
welcome
make sure everybody wears a lifejacket and go for it . the maiden voyage just the boat , put fishin' stuff in after you see how stable it is . it sucks divin' for it ! have fun...... phone and wallet in ziplock

ha ha yeah that sounds about right thanks for the advice... I will keep you all posted

A few more pics...almost done will finish tonight :)

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0378-1.jpg

IMG_0378-1.jpg

took it out for a test drive and she is a bit shaky....I had to modify my original plan because the casting deck on the back was real wobbly. put a floor down and made a smaller casting area....I also changed out the chip board for laminated plywood and put down water resistant carpet...My son wanted a KVD boat so we got a viny lettering place to make us some logos

Nice work man! BTW nice Fins Jersey =). I just had this exact same boat and did a lot of research on it, if you need any help with any of the history or dimensions on it let me know. The reason I sold it is the fiberglass was splitting and it was a shell put together with foam in the middle, hard for me to fix. Your looks great though! cant wait to see it completed, keep it up!

Looks interesting.

I'd get it wet before you do too much more. I think that front seat on a 6" pedestal is going to be hard on the back or legs or both. What's powering it and what are the plans for it? What for and where are you going to fish it?

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Looks interesting.

I'd get it wet before you do too much more. I think that front seat on a 6" pedestal is going to be hard on the back or legs or both. What's powering it and what are the plans for it? What for and where are you going to fish it?

Jamie

I got Minkota (36 lbs of thrust) mounted on the back I fish in reverse and I man the back, kind of turning the boat inside out...it lets me control the boat and get the presentation I need. my buddy is 270 and he sits in the seat and LOVES it!!! I put in a recessed floor just below the chair so you can stand or sit. he got brave enough after 4 hours to stand on the deck and I was standing in the back and we did just fine (even with some chop on the water) two dudes over 220 lbs fishing standing up..not too shabby..I am making a post with pics of the fish we caught and the finished boat

topgun15v said:
Nice work man! BTW nice Fins Jersey =). I just had this exact same boat and did a lot of research on it, if you need any help with any of the history or dimensions on it let me know. The reason I sold it is the fiberglass was splitting and it was a shell put together with foam in the middle, hard for me to fix. Your looks great though! cant wait to see it completed, keep it up!

my fiberglass is splitting too but I just use kitty hair or fiberglass patches with epoxy to patch them up...seems to be working and there are no leaks....this is perfect for the pond fishing I am doing!

Awesome project. Good way to spend some quality time with the family. The memories of this build will live on in your lives forever. Enjoy. =D>

ahoy all you maties. im new to this great place.will post pics of my old tin boat when i get home. in afgahnastan now. will be redeploying home to the place that i love soon . back to my beautiful bride and my boats. love some of the ideas i have a lowe jon boat 16x42 i think ? :D want to modify it for ducks and catfish. will be back to read more ideas soon have awards thing today my home is columbia south carolina. anybody fish on the great santee lakes or swamp?talk later

Latest posts