Coyote Hunting Rifle?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
The people that own the land my brother deer hunts on want the coyotes thinned out. What would be better for 100 yard shots the
Remington 742 in 30/06 or Remington 700 in 7MM remington magnum? Would my brothers 458 be over kill?

Actually we just want them dead.

No Ar's at the moment.
We dumped the remains of 5 deer in a field today. Going out tomorrow morning to see what we see.

At 100 yds they are going to be as dead with either the 30-06 or 7 Mag. Dead is dead. 300,400,500 yds and the slight edge would go to the 7 Mag but at 100 yds they are DEAD with either.

I built a Saiga 223 AK for this purpose... Not AR reliable, but under $500 for a new Russian AK converted. The hard part was finding 5 round magazines as Maine does not allow hunting with anything over a 5 round magazine... even for coyotes :(

And, Savage makes a nice .243 camo, scoped combo for less then $400 that would work nicely :)

Looks like they haven't found the bait yet.

lswoody said:
dyeguy1212 said:
30-06 and a 7mm are arguably the same. Go with a 30-06 because the ammo is cheaper.

What dyeguy says.
We reload so thats not a big deal. We ended up 145 yards away from the bait.

Well unless you're taking a 300 yard shot (and have a chance in hell of making it :lol: I know I sure wouldn't ) it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Haven't seen them yet. I'll be out tuesday evening.

Id personally use the 7mm, but either that or the 06 would be fine. If you want the hides I'd try to find a .223 or something else small and fast for headshots.

Killing coyotes over bait in the daylight is usually pretty slim odds.

Get yourself an electronic call and call them in. You will probably have a lot better results.

So far as the caliber, at 100 yards or less either of those is overkill for a coyote so shoot whichever you are most comfortable with and have the most ammo for.

my weapons of choice that i use for coyotes is my DPMS AR in .308 or my mini-14. in conjunction with the electronic caller

The 30-06 with Remington Accelerators in it.
If you want to reload then a light bullet in the 7mm.

Either of these calibers will kill anything on the continent. If the coyotes are all in a row the "06" with a fmj would probably penetrate 15 or 16 coyotes ,the 7mm fmj would probably go through 16 or 17 of them.with either I garantee you won't be lacking in knockdown power. If your under 100yds try a .22 long rifle. I've killed quite a few with a .22 shooting stingers ,they've got a pretty lightly constructed body. It's like any hunting shot placement is a lot more important than caliber........Ray

Either of those will do the job. I have had a few people tell me about them using their .17 hmr Dont know the range but If that will do it youll be fine.