Cutting a weld? Tracker transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warefishin

Reaction score
Guys I know from reading other posts I am going to have to cut the welds to get to the transom. I have alreafy talked to a local welder that said he would weld it back on for 50 or 60 bucks. Anyway my question is about the removal. Should I take the angle grinder and use the side of the wheel to cut a line down the middle of the weld or should I use one of the flapped wheels and use the flat side to grind the whole weld down to even with the two pieces of metal.

I havent worked with metal much thanks for your help guys.

I used a carbide bit on my die grinder and chewed through welds like it was butter.

Do u make a narrow cut down the middle of the weld or grind down the whole weld. I just dont want it to be to messed up for the welder

I was grinding down a weld around a drain hole because everything else just wouldn't do anything to the weld. If you go this route you have to be careful that you don't get over zealous. It will chew up some stuff. I don't even know if this would fit your application, was just telling you what I use to grind welds down. Post pics so that we might be able to better assess your problem.

But without looking at it I would say your best bet would be an angle die grinder from Harbour Freight and pick up a carbide bit. Just grind down the welds. Be careful and be done with it quick.

This is the best picture I have of one of the welds

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391739818057.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391739818057.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 591
I used fine hacksaw blades in my Porter Cable sawzall. Took 2 blades and went through the welds like a hot knife through butter. Matter of fact go slow and be careful because I actually cut into something a little bit I shouldn't have but my welder fixed it back no problem.

I got it done. I ended up using my angle grinder and a cutoff wheel. The sawsall mighy have been the way to go though. With the cutoff wheel it was haed to find the perfect angle and depth.

Hers is a picture of where I gouged it up. Hopefully the welder can fix me up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392038341791.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392038341791.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 516

Latest posts