Deck for Saltwater applications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintP

Reaction score
I have a Generation III modified v hull jon boat with two bench seats and and little triangle seat up front.

I want to build a deck platform in the front half.

What should I use for saltwater applications? Plywood? I would think carpeting would be out of the question since I tend to do a lot of shrimping and flounder gigging (can be messy at times).

I have used plywood in the past but found out from you guys that the pressure treated kind has a chemical reaction.

I would not mind using plywood again but what should I coat it with for easy cleanup?

I notice a bunch of nice mod's on the site but they all look like they are for freshwater applications.

Thanks,

Clint

Clint, I have a boat that I used to use in the bay before the oil slick ruined it (ok, a little premature) and also as a small bass boat. I used .125 aluminum and if you can afford it, it is what you want bar none.

Like you, I wanted an easily cleanable surface. There is a thread on this site where I wondered aloud about using fiberglass reinforced plastic, but concerns about weight, durability and ultimate cost led me to aluminum of which I cant be more pleased. I then used rustoleum topside paint, mixed with rustoleum grit (somewhat like sand) to give the boat a good non-skid finish. When I finish the last couple parts, I'll do a thread on it.

OK, its still a bit messy with some aesthetic things to do, but here a a couple photos to show you how it looks. The good thing about it is its simple to do. Just cut the aluminum, prime it with self etching primer then paint a couple coats with clean rustoleum, let dry, tape aeas where you don't want grit, then mix the grit into the paint, do a coat, then another couple coats of clean on top of that. So far it seems durable. It is a little dirty in my boat, I havent hit it with the washer yet, but I think it should stand up fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,613
I like the looks of that. What do you have underneath for bracing? That's the part that daunts me the most for mine, is building bracing or supports for a deck. How to attach them etc... I have used a 3/4 inch piece of plywood before and didn't need any support underneath for the area, but if I use aluminum I will definately have to brace it.

There are a lot of posts that explain how to brace aluminum on the site.

You don't need to do too much, .125 is pretty sturdy stuff. I used yellowood in 1x1 strips. Some people use aluminum angle and pop rivits, which might be the best overall way to do it. Yellowood is advertised to be usable with aluminum unlike other pressure treated lumber. Just made a grid, then braced it all with wood. Tried not to let much more than 8" go without having some support. I then placed chunks of white insulation foam in the voids.

Here are some before and after shots of my jon boat.
https://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ClintP_photo/ItsaGodThing.jpg
https://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ClintP_photo/IMG_1590.jpg
https://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ClintP_photo/DSC01147.jpg
https://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ClintP_photo/IMG_1592.jpg

I am trying to do something with the front portion, from the front bench up to the little bow seat. In the past I put treated plywood there for all my flounder gigging and shrimping.

Thanks,

Clint

P.S. How do I get my images in here like everybody else? And at the correct size.

You know thats a dip net, not a seat cover, right? :LOL2: Just kiddin brother, I couldnt resist. Ive had plywood in a couple other boats, and now i have aluminum in the G3 I have now. If you can afford the aluminum, its definately worth it. I had to save up all winter to do my boat, but I dont regret it at all. I had to pay someone to do the welding and stuff, so if you did all that yourself im sure it would be a lot cheaper. I just dont trust myself that much...

Nice ride by the way.

Epoxy and plywood is my vote, although I'd do aluminum if you can afford it. I'm almost finished with my build and I epoxy coated all of the wood(including framing), primed, and am putting the finish coat on tomorrow morning. I used a non-skid additive and a latex porch and floor paint. I've used that stuff a bunch for floors and some exterior work, and it holds up well. I'm headed to Florida next week, so we'll see how it does in the salt, but I expect it to do just fine.

If you use wood, use epoxy. It's a little expensive, but I'm personally not a fan of gutting a boat months after finishing it. That's what happened with my last one. If you don't seal it up, especially the edges, or use really expensive marine ply--it will delaminate almost immediately.

Here's a link to my build:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13472

Im gathering info before I start on my conversion. This thread is the only one I can find where the thickness of the aluminum (.125) is mentioned. Most of the local harware stores in my town carry only .050. Is .125 the only thickness that will work. I found .075 at what seems like a pretty good price from a private seller, but wont waste my money if it wont support a deck. Thanks for any info.

Latest posts