Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dyeguy1212 said:
Got some new toys today.. a lot of tackle and something for my boat: Front pedestal with seat swivel and a bass pro towel 8)

Be careful with that pedestal...I have one just like it and once it got some wear on it it started just dropping to the bottom unexpectadly..I ended up having to drill a hole in mine and installing a bolt.

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm not expecting it to get too much wear, considering I never actually sit, I just lean. But I'm sure it will take a crap if I give it a chance...

Good call on putting a bolt through it.. I might do that anyways :lol:

Had a hell of a time getting the boat out of the back yard and into the driveway today.. had about a foot of snow to drive through with my 4x4 jimmy. Took some work but it got the job done.

Had some time before work so I started taking stuff off that I intend to keep, and started to throw out the rest. Got the minnkota deck hand off, started to disconnect some of the wiring, and tore off the walls. Only snapped a few pics with my phone. The wheels are in motion!

Gonna get after it tomorrow.. starting at 11 am after I watch the bassmater classic, and not stopping until 10 PM for the next segment of it.

Attachments

• img481.jpg
    img481.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • img482.jpg
    img482.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,385
  • img483.jpg
    img483.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,385
Are you going to tear out all of the decking??? I would.

Then on the wiring. I would make note as to where the wires hook up to the motor (ignition and trim), plan out what wires you are going to need to go where. Then I would cut that mess of old wire in half right there. Then tape new wire to the old end to end, so that when you pull out the old wire, it fishes the new wire right into place. So long as your not going to change the location of the wire itself. Do away with the old wiring so you don't have any problems.

SrPhatness said:
Are you going to tear out all of the decking??? I would.

Then on the wiring. I would make note as to where the wires hook up to the motor (ignition and trim), plan out what wires you are going to need to go where. Then I would cut that mess of old wire in half right there. Then tape new wire to the old end to end, so that when you pull out the old wire, it fishes the new wire right into place. So long as your not going to change the location of the wire itself. Do away with the old wiring so you don't have any problems.

I cut all of the non-engine wires out and ditched them. That solved the issue real quick. And yes, I'm tearing it all out. Its treated wood and pitting the aluminum. Plus it looks like garbage.

Lunkerville, I forget where I got it. I believe iboats.com, but I could be wrong.

I'll post some pics later tonight. Got everything torn out, console removed, and I'm griding off the paint around the gunwales so I have fresh aluminum to paint on. I'm going with antislip stuff again, cause as it turns out, its tough as nails in some spots. The rest was chipping from what I would assume is lack of preparation.

Nussy said:
What happened to working from Classic to Classic??? :LOL2:

Ran out of stuff to do until I can get to HD tomorrow and buy some wood.. Just got home from the quarter car wash.. sprayed it down, let it drain to the back, vacuumed, then repeated the process. I got most of the gunk out and its draining freely now.

Sorry about the lack of pics, my camera died on me when taking the final pics of the day.. I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

As of now, the boat is:
stripped down to the benches
grinded the gunwales to remove paint (took off as little metal as possible). Had to use the 4in grinder because the nonskid paint was just eating up the wire wheels. I took extra care not to grind welds or anything structural.
Washed it down, and its ready for decks.

Looking at some snow this week, so I don't know what kind of progress I'll make. I'm looking to build the framing and get the decks on, then remove it all, throw it up against the wall in the garage, and wait for a warm enough day to water seal it.

Yep,
More snow this week. Hope it's not to much, or we will be in some trouble around here. All of the rivers and creeks are starting to ice **** up and overflow from all of the meltdown.

I always to remind myself how fortunate I am to have a garage, even if it is super small. Salamander heater keeps it nice and warm, at the expense of brain cells to the fumes. Which allows me to keep going, as long I have money for heater fuel.

Just keep pecking at it when you can. Cant wait to see what it looks like.

Got a lot done today.. mainly, blowing 180 bucks at Home Depot. Got everything I need except plywood (need a pickup), carpet and some misc. things. Picked up all the framing, over 50 strong ties, 2 boxes of screws, all the wiring, staples, solder, 2 small drains for the cockpit area, carpet glue and trowel, marine epoxy, and some 5200. Also got some thompson's water seal with wood protector for 10 bucks off, so I got two jugs.

Here are the pics leading up to today.

Attachments

• IMAG0282.JPG
    IMAG0282.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0283.JPG
    IMAG0283.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0287.JPG
    IMAG0287.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0284.JPG
    IMAG0284.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0290.JPG
    IMAG0290.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0289.JPG
    IMAG0289.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0293.JPG
    IMAG0293.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0291.JPG
    IMAG0291.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0301.JPG
    IMAG0301.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0299.JPG
    IMAG0299.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMAG0298.JPG
    IMAG0298.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 1,378
Here are the mystery pictures.... See captions for my questions.. :?:

Attachments

• IMAG0294.JPG
    IMAG0294.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMAG0295.JPG
    IMAG0295.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMAG0296.JPG
    IMAG0296.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMAG0297.JPG
    IMAG0297.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 1,355
I decided to take off all of the antiskid paint, and reapply the correct way when its warm enough. I tried using a wirewheel and a paint stripping wheel, and the paint destroyed both. So I took out the 4inch grinder and told the boat where to stick it. Took off a little metal, but not much.

Attachments

• IMAG0300.JPG
    IMAG0300.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,354
Here are the most up to date pictures. Everything is rock solid. I can stand on the livewell and jump/sway and its not going anywhere.. turning out awesome

The big I shape in the bottom of the floor is the support for 1/2in plywood for the storage area. The bottom ribs sit on an angle, so the I shape was the best way to do it. Put in some plywood and it turned out pretty good, but took it out so I can put in more support running to the floor ribs, then put the ply in last.

Hardest thing about this mod is that I have to do all this work, then strip it all back down and water seal it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Attachments

• img486.jpg
    img486.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,353
  • img485.jpg
    img485.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • img484.jpg
    img484.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,353