Elgin out boards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moerawn

Reaction score
I have two elgin out boards that were given to me. one is a 3hp and one is a 1.5hp does anyone know where I can get parts to make these work. the 1.5hp is incomplete missing a carb and the spark plug wire. the 3hp is completp but I can't seem t5o get it to run. I think I need a new carb for it as it has a good spark but wont fire. Mabey timeing is off?

I thought about fabing a way to take the elgin head off and mount 5hp briggs on it but this is a last resort as I would like to make them run again.

I figure bassboy might have some knowledge on this.

Provided the carb is not damaged majorly, you will likely just need to clean/rebuild the carb, and replace/clean fuel lines. My guess is there is powered fuel remains clogging something up.

Good guess, but should it run on carb cleaner if that is the only problem? I sprayed carb cleaner and even tried putting a few drops into the spark plug socket and still could not get it to fire.

I have a carb from a briggs 5hp lawnmower that will bolt up to the elgin is it a good idea to try to use this carb?

If the awnser to the above question is no i think that I should quit looking for the easy way out and do a proper carb rebuild and new fuel lines,spark plug ect...

I would like to find a replacement carb for both motors as both carbs are in poor condition. Any one know where i can get replacement parts for mid 40's to 50's Elgin motors?