EVA Foam for Flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsomnia

Reaction score
Hi. I am new here and looking for EVA Foam flooring ideas. Has anyone tried this as an alternative to carpet? I am still scraping off old carpet adhesive but as soon as I complete that task, I am ready to start cutting out EVA material for gluing down later.

One guy on here used it in his 12' jon. His link is pretty active, I think you could find it pretty easy. I considered using it but couldn't find the color I wanted. You can find it in good selection of colors on ebay. I ended up using Nautolex vinyl.

I used foam tiles for exercise equipment on my floor, it is not permanently attached though... I tow the boat with a cover on so they do not blow out of the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346262#p346262 said:
rscottp » Yesterday, 17:08[/url]"]Looks good, do they get hot in the sun?
not as hot as aluminium, they do shrink and swell a bit from the change in temps.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346249#p346249 said:
SquiggyFreud » 25 Mar 2014, 15:34[/url]"]I used foam tiles for exercise equipment on my floor, it is not permanently attached though... I tow the boat with a cover on so they do not blow out of the boat.

Thanks for the reply. The loose foam tiles would not be a bad idea for me if I used a boat cover when traveling. The fact that you noticed swelling in the sun makes me wonder if gluing down is a bad idea.

I decided to use all four aluminum floor covering examples received here:

1) aluminum sheeting over DOW foam between ribs, and decks,
2) hydroturf,
3) gray tiles,
4) and Sears Best Step

I liked all the methods and recommendations here and the combination will be unique to say the least. Using hydro turf for major horizontal and vertical surface. Using gray tiles for seating areas along the rod closet and under gunwales. Using Sears Best Step for bow and stern traction when I bunny hop from the slick Missouri river banks.

Finished converting the existing decks, middle floor, hatches for livewells/storage from plywood to aluminum sheets with piano hinges instead regular hinges.

I'll keep posting pics as I near completion. Basically, I am converting a Bass boat to more of a river boat to deal with sand and mud. I also loved trashing the old plywood and making my boat about 100 pounds lighter. Although I kept the boat covered the best I could in the winter time, the old plywood was starting to retain water and make my boat heavier. By the way, the old foam under the plywood was deteriorating badly too. It must have been the liquid type from the 1984 Monarch manufacturer. If I squeezed hard enough between thumb a forefinger it would disintegrate and drop to the ground in a powder substance.

Thanks for checking out/commenting on pics. I hope some newbie like me comes along and can use these ideas too.

Attachments

• IMAG0562.jpg
    IMAG0562.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 2,130
  • IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,130
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,130
  • IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg