Extra crispy? Tach cable related.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winddog

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

Attachments

• Extra crispy.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 30
  • Extra crispy.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 46
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333140#p333140 said:
Winddog » 5 minutes ago[/url]"]Hi guys & gals
Atatched is a picture of what happens when a tach cable shorts out. :(

This is on a 95 Honda BF25 with tiller steering. The tach is a Tiny Tach self contained unit. I want to stress this was an installlation mistake. The tach has 2 leads, one wrappes around one of the spark plug wires, the other to engine ground. The Tach it's self operated perfectly.
So 71 hours of run time ago, I installed the cable by making another hole in the grommett were the cables pass into the engine. I passed the Tach cable through this hole and tie wrapped the coaxle cable from the tach to the throttle cables to keep it out of the way, bad move, my guess is the tach cable insulation got crushed at the tie wrappes & either shorted internally or to the throttle cables themselves.
Looks like about $100.00 in parts so I guess it could have been worse.

Attachments

• Extra crispy.jpg
    Extra crispy.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 357
So looks like no one cares, which is fine, just thought I'd update.

The root cause of this failure was a loose connection at the negative battery post. The tach cable was collateral damage & in no way responsible for this failure.

Hi , we have a 2011 bought new Honda BF25 and a 2010 Honda BF2 bought new. Can you tell we are Honda fans ?...anyways sorry to hear about your tach.We also would like to get a tach for our motors but because tinytachs have a sealed battery i will consider other tachs.I know guys with quads have options where you can get a tach with extra features for same or less $$ but have a replaceable battery. I think that it's BS to seal a battery in and in 5 years toss the still good tach into the landfill and just buy another one. This is very irresponsible for Tinytach to make such a product...do they care ? or they just want people to just buy one every 5 years....BS !

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333763#p333763 said:
DanMC » Yesterday, 20:45[/url]"]Hi , we have a 2011 bought new Honda BF25 and a 2010 Honda BF2 bought new. Can you tell we are Honda fans ?...anyways sorry to hear about your tach.We also would like to get a tach for our motors but because tinytachs have a sealed battery i will consider other tachs.I know guys with quads have options where you can get a tach with extra features for same or less $$ but have a replaceable battery. I think that it's BS to seal a battery in and in 5 years toss the still good tach into the landfill and just buy another one. This is very irresponsible for Tinytach to make such a product...do they care ? or they just want people to just buy one every 5 years....BS !

I totaly agree with you on the battery thing, but to tell the truth I was not able to find anything else to fit the bill. :(

Wow, surprising that a simple tach lead could heat up that much to melt all that tape.
No way to salvage it? Clean it up and oil the throttle cables up?

Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333820#p333820 said:
earl60446 » Yesterday, 18:45[/url]"]Wow, surprising that a simple tach lead could heat up that much to melt all that tape.
No way to salvage it? Clean it up and oil the throttle cables up?

Tim
Tim, it was not the tach that did the damage, I was incorrect with my first diagnosis. The cause of the failure was a loose connection at the battery ground.

Latest posts