Fall Leaves........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kthmarks

Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be acceptable to remove my intake grate during the fall when the leaves are on the water. I had a heck of a time today on the slow stretches of the river where the leaves tend to become thick on the water. A couple of hundred yards is all I could muster before I had to stop and clean out the grate. Leaves...how bad could it be?

Thoughts?

Hmmm.....that's something I've not considered. What size motor are you running, and more importanly.....how shallow are the waters you run. I'd be really afraid of sucking a rock up and damaging your impeller. That's why the grate is there. Impeller protection. But I do understand the problem with leaves too. Hmmm :?: :?: :?:

I wouldn't, you might wind up sucking something you don't want in your pump. Besides I'd much rather stop the grate up a little than run that much trash through the water pump etc.

Codeman said:
.............. run that much trash through the water pump etc.
I didn't consider the water pump. I sure wish there was a workable solution for this......other that waiting until after fall. The engine is a 90/65 Yamaha 4 stroke and I can avoid the sandy/rocky areas while grateless.....but gumming up the water pump is a recipe for disaster.....no doubt.

Go faster? Works for me :)

I wonder how a backwards mounted pitchfork would do in front of the grate so the leaves get deflected down away from the intake? Doubt it would work but...

I'm honestly surprised my inboard is working as well as it is. It has to be because I'm going over them around 50mph and even though I'm picking them up it's not enough to clog.

Jamie

I don't have any experience with jets, but is it possible to make some type of contraption just forward of the grate that would deflect the leaves?

lol... Jamie beat me to it, and I'm guessing he would have a lot better idea of what the "contraption" would look like.

It's just part of running a jet in the fall. Gigging is a pain in the butt when leaves are falling because it makes the suckers hard to see and also clogs the impeller often. I'm hoping I don't have to fight that crap tonight for our first gigging trip of the year. :oops:

If i remember correctly I think some one said you might could remove every other grate to help with your problem. I would feel fine doing that as long as I was running deep water and only had to deal with leaves and not worry about sucking rocks in the pump. I also agree staying at speed and having the motor trimmed up as high as possible seems to help. I use to have the problem a lot but I am running a 175hp now and seem to have the problem less.

Sure, the more power the better off you'll be. I'm running a 225 and don't have, or should say, never had a problem with leaves. I'm sucking pretty hard from that grate though and don't want to take any chances of sucking up something bad. Still don't know that I'd remove any of the grate, but to each his own. It might be the only other compromise???

We went gigging this past Friday and Saturday on the Gasconade and the leaves were a pain in the butt in the slack water. I had to get out and clean them out of the grate a few times. It's not a problem running WOT, but when you go slow they just get wrapped around the grate until you can't hardly go. It's just part of it. :mrgreen:

I have three jet skis and two of them have intake grates on. I have never had a problem. A lot of guys prefer not to use intake grates as the restrict flow and top speed. IMO they are more about safety than anything. they restrict top speed and have tendencies to clog stuff up.

Latest posts