First Boat - 12' Semi-V Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFeeser

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post! A few weeks ago, a friend from church (who is also on TinBoats - samzerelli) gave me his old 2nd boat, a Delhi 12 foot Semi-V with a trailer and currently non-running Evinrude 6 hp motor.

It's not pretty, but it doesn't leak, and will be fun to fix up! I will post pics and questions as I go...
I can't get pics up now, but I will as soon as I can.

Alright, here are some pictures of the boat as I got it:

8144755775_839c33a396_c.jpg

8144788008_b7501145f5_c.jpg

8144787826_7a0d09b2ff_c.jpg

The exterior has been sanded most of the way. The boat is wet in the pics, it is not shiny as it appears.

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I did not remove all the paint. Is that OK? Do I need to get it all down to bare aluminum?

8144824324_fd1858f559_c.jpg

8144824444_d8430b84ab_c.jpg

8144824148_a77f8f45a3_c.jpg

I have removed all the stickers and sanded about 2/3 of the interior. Again, do I need to remove all the paint?

8144791199_94fb2a9457_c.jpg

Next, I removed the old transom wood. You can see the difference from where I sanded and where I didn't. I'm still learning about this stuff, but from what I've read, pressure treated wood doesn't agree with aluminum? I guess the corrosion looking stuff is from the wood?

8144823930_45b6fcc334_c.jpg

Alright all the pics I have posted are now up to date. I am currently working on the new transom wood and I hope to have that finished over the weekend.

Thanks, John

Hi John,
As long as the paint that is still there is bonded good, it should be ok to leave it. Just sand is to get a good bond with the new coats.

Yep, pressure treated wood is a no-no, as the preservative in it reacts with the aluminum in the boat hull. Just use exterior grade or marine grade plywood and seal it well. Spar urethane (Helmsman is one brand) or epoxy work well for this. Drill the holes for your fasteners a little oversize and coat the inside of the holes with the spar or epoxy too. Use stainless steel bolts, washers and lock-nuts and you should be good to go.

Ringo Steele said:
Hi John,
As long as the paint that is still there is bonded good, it should be ok to leave it. Just sand is to get a good bond with the new coats.

Yep, pressure treated wood is a no-no, as the preservative in it reacts with the aluminum in the boat hull. Just use exterior grade or marine grade plywood and seal it well. Spar urethane (Helmsman is one brand) or epoxy work well for this. Drill the holes for your fasteners a little oversize and coat the inside of the holes with the spar or epoxy too. Use stainless steel bolts, washers and lock-nuts and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to paint it either gray or dark blue. I'll be going to Lowes tomorrow to get materials for the transom.

jasper60103 said:
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new rig. Do you have plans to fix the motor or replace?

I want to try to fix it later, but since I will mostly use it on an electric-only lake, it's not a priority right now.

Hi John, I saw the pics of your new project and it took my breath away a bit.. I've never seen a boat exactly like mine, but yours is identical. I suppose I haven't looked a lot but I have the exact same boat as yours (without the stickers..).. I got mine in 1976 for my 6th Birthday present. My father owned a Dental office in Meigs, GA and someone traded the boat to him for some dental work. I've taken mine down many rivers in FL, Flondering in Northwest Florida, Scalloping in Port St Joe, even shark fishing in the gulf. I capsized it once in Pensacola Bay, but thanks to the foam under the seats I was able to swim it in to shore. I'm also about to begin to restore mine, as well as add on a few things that will make it a little more stable, and useful. My main concern is that the metal in some spots is thin so I'm going to try to make it a little stronger. I'll let you know how it goes and let me know if I can be of some help. [email protected]

James

Alright, this little fighter of a boat is about to become like new, or at least workable with class.. Stripping the hull and interior now and once it's down to aluminum or at least to the paint that's bonded very well. I was looking to use some paint from Sherwin Williams that's around 200$, but the primer, top coat, and bottom paint are all available at Lowes here in ATL, Boat grade, for around 50$. I think I'm also going to add some "Flexible Rubber Coating" to all seems and critical points. I'm going to begin a new thread for my project, but thought I'd post this here as well for you John. I hope you don't mind. Looking forward to seeing your progress as well. Lots to do but I plan to have her in the water in a few weeks. Got a Newer Merc 3.3 that should push it along nicely. One thing I could use some help with is adding some old style flooring.. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.. Take care. James

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,350
Hi John, hope your project boat is coming along well.. I decided to post the progress of mine with Blogger and will update the Tinboats Post after it's completed. Looking forward to seeing your finished baot..
Take care, James

1969delhi.blogspot.com

Latest posts