First Jet Jon Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillie_nelson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got a 1997 Yamaha WaveVenture 1100 in running condition. The goal is to convert to a Jet Jon. I am favoring the route of fabbing the tunnel into the transom and mounting the motor over cutting the jet ski hull and mounting to the boat. I understand it is more labor intensive, but allows for better reinforcement. I'll be using this thread to post progress. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hi all,

I recently got a 1997 Yamaha WaveVenture 1100 in running condition. The goal is to convert to a Jet Jon. I am favoring the route of fabbing the tunnel into the transom and mounting the motor over cutting the jet ski hull and mounting to the boat. I understand it is more labor intensive, but allows for better reinforcement. I'll be using this thread to post progress. Any recommendations are appreciated.
What did you end up doing?

What did you end up doing?
It was an interesting deal. My mother offered to give me the jet ski free of charge, which I of course accepted. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2023, I drive to see her for turkey dinner with the intention of bringing the jet ski with me on the trip home. They know I'm not a recreational boater so they asked me what I wanted the jet ski for. Once I explained my intentions, her 65 year-old husband decides that they are no longer getting rid of it, even though they haven't ridden it for multiple seasons. I'm not the type to sit & beg for it so I told them to just keep it & I'll figure something else out. I found this 16' Alumaweld center console jet sled with a 90/65 Mercury for a good deal so I picked it up 2 weeks ago. Caught a flu so terrible, it makes COVID feel like a walk in the park. So I'm hoping to take it out for it's maiden voyage if I'm feeling up to it.

Attachments

• IMG_9544.jpg
    IMG_9544.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
There you go! Some people just get stuck in a rut. The old guy probably couldn’t imagine his old toy being cut up and turned into something possibly useful.

It was an interesting deal. My mother offered to give me the jet ski free of charge, which I of course accepted. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2023, I drive to see her for turkey dinner with the intention of bringing the jet ski with me on the trip home. They know I'm not a recreational boater so they asked me what I wanted the jet ski for. Once I explained my intentions, her 65 year-old husband decides that they are no longer getting rid of it, even though they haven't ridden it for multiple seasons. I'm not the type to sit & beg for it so I told them to just keep it & I'll figure something else out. I found this 16' Alumaweld center console jet sled with a 90/65 Mercury for a good deal so I picked it up 2 weeks ago. Caught a flu so terrible, it makes COVID feel like a walk in the park. So I'm hoping to take it out for it's maiden voyage if I'm feeling up to it.

Well, you will be on the water having fun, long before getting a jet jon completed and tested. Probably much more reliable, as well. Enjoy!

There you go! Some people just get stuck in a rut. The old guy probably couldn’t imagine his old toy being cut up and turned into something possibly useful.
Yup.
He probably figured you would cut stuff up and never finish. That actually happens a lot with jetski conversions. Do a search, and you may notice that, too.

I think you did way better with what you got. Get better and get her out!

Latest posts