First Post: 1959 Monark 16 foot Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like some opinions.

Option 1: Two 10" NRS mounts welded onto the rail in order to row standing up.

Option 2: Utilize the stock U-bolt to attach the mount to the rail

Option 3: ?

The rail is tubular but smaller in outside diameter than the NRS frames. I am concerned that the torque of rowing with the ten inch high mount will put too much stress on the base weld. I would attach the mount at the rib.

TIA,

Al

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 413
Great looking boat man, this kind of what I want to do with mine, pretty much the exact same boat. Only difference is that mine is a '84.

How does the boat handle with the seats out? I want to take my middle seat out but I'm worried about stability and rigidity.

Also, I ordered a gallon of sand tan aswell, how much did it take to spray the whole boat?

SF,

I bought two gallons and rolled/brushed it on over two coats of primer.

It has held ok so far. If I had to do it over I'd have got a tougher paint for the bottom, it is getting pretty banged up. I am going to camo it with some foliage green when I get the blind built.

I still need to figure out a solution for my oar mounts..... :roll:

I miss working on boats full time. Keep me updated on yours.

Al

SF,

With respect to the removal of the seats, for this boat it has worked well. The ribs in addition to the piece at the beginning of the front deck provide good rigidity. I don't feel that the seats added much in the way of additional support for the design of my boat. It is difficult to say if the design of your boat would allow you the same leeway.

The open layout is so versatile I am really happy it worked out that way. We crabbed this winter with four pots my wife and the dog and we had a lot of space to work. Can't wait for the summer.

Al

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about cutting my middle bench into thirds and just leaving two boxes on the sides, one for fuel and the other for battery. Seeing as how I'm making it a center console, would allow for more room, but still keep the storage. As far as the paint goes, the boat is gonna be pretty much a canal/river boat, so I don't think I'll have to worry about paint coming off too bad.

And to your oar mount problem, no clue on my end there.

SF

SF, I think your idea for the gas/battery storage could be a good one, it would allow you to have seats and storage. My gas/battery are out in space and if I get a serious wild hair some day I may move them up under the forward deck out of the way to net me even more open floor space. That will require some cutting of the aluminum though.

I ended up mounting my oar mounts using the provided U-bolts. Test run is up coming.

Update with 1/2 inch conduit pop up blind and oar tower weldment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 170