FishFinder--Haven't bought one for 15 years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewinder

Reaction score
Need some input on a new fishfinder!

Last one i bought was in the early 90's, a Humminbird , don't remember the model.

I fish for stripers mostly, bays and estuaries of coastal NH (LOL ya i know NH doesn't have much coastline)

I was liking the looks of the Lowrance X-4 Pro Fishfinder, for around 100 bucks, Putting it on a refurbed 16' tinny.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with this model. Some of the drop off's in the river can be in the 60- 80 foot range.

The finder i had on my old boat back then worked great, cost more, but then everything electronic seems to be cheaper these days, so I was wondering how these 100 dollar specials work out these days.

Any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank in advance

for a hundred bucks you will get what you pay for.......is 100 bucks your budget for one or will you spend more?

It all depends on the type of fishing that you do. If all you are looking for is depth and "dropoffs" then the unit you are looking for will be fine. Something to remember is that most units in the $100.00 price range have a low pixel count and detail is poor. Once you start moving up the price ladder, the pixel count increases as well as detail, gps vs no gps and the list goes on. Higher pixel counts will help identify structure, bait fish and individual fish much better. Another thing in the equation is monochrome vs color screens. I have both and although color is much better, you can catch as many fish using mono vs color. It all depends on an individuals like and dislikes. If I was buying a unit for the first time and didn't want to spend alot of money, I would look at something along the lines of a Humminbird 560 or the Lowrance Mark 5.

Latest posts