Fishing log

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Since I plan on spending a lot of time on Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma next year I came up with an idea. A log book. Took my time and made up a log page and copied about 50 pages. Everytime I go fishing It will be brought along. Page consist of Time fish was caught, wind and direction, Humidity level, Air temperature, Lake level, Cloud cover or lack of, Where fish was caught, Moon phase, Type of fish caught, type of bait used, type of rig used, anchored or drift fished, amount of traffic on lake, water temperature, I plan on fishing the Northern part of the lake basically everything North of the North Canadian. Another guy who post on Youtube is doing the same for the southern part of the lake. We have decided that after a year of taking notes we will get together and compare are results. He contacted Fish and game and they are very interested in our little project. I am counting on a minimum of fishing two days a week. So is my southern counterpart. Being retired is great.

Crappie fishing on Lake Eufaula at times is like a crap game. One day they hit good and the next day their gone. Figure two different fisherman fishing different areas of the lake and yes it is a very big lake after a years time compare notes maybe we will be able to come up with some rhyme or reason why they bite and why they do not. If the state wants access to are data more power to them. It maybe could end up a complete waste of time but than again it may not. Figure it will be entertaining anyhow.

My hats off to anyone that can get out every week, let alone twice! :). Retired or not. Don’t forget to post some pictures, here.

Once I get the boat in the water it will be nothing but posting. I spent over 20 years working in Tulsa as a welder. Henryetta to Tulsa depending on job location was a 60 mile trip one way. Not only a long ride and most was done on motorcycles I averaged 11 hour days 6 days a week. Traveling HWY 75 it got old watching all the boats heading south while I headed north to go to work. Weekends was the real killer. During Crappie season it was a sea of pickups and boats heading south to Lake Eufaula. Even if I got a day off there was always something that needed to get done around the place so fishing was very seldom. I live about 5 miles from a boat ramp that is located on the Deep Fork River. Two miles down the river and your in the lake. Have one of the best Bass lakes in Oklahoma located about 10 miles north of Henryetta. Dripping Springs does not allow water skiing or jet skiing. No tubing allowed. Fishing only. Between Social Security and the side money I make off the place selling livestock and eggs I have no need to work a outside job. Not rich by any means but I do OK. So yes I plan on spending a lot of time fishing. Keeping it simple a 14 foot Lonestar fishing deluxe that is lightweight and will be set up for solo fishing with a small 6 horse outboard. Cost effective but comfortable. Have about 4 traps for perch that I get out of my pond. Rabbits supply plenty of manure for growing some big nightcrawlers and casting net will pick up the slack. Cost effective fishing to say the least. During the peak fishing season I plan on hitting it more than twice a week. So yes there will be a lot of pictures.

Congrats, you deserve all the time you can get on the water. Enjoy!

I don't know crappie fishing. Only caught one in my lifetime. ;) Not sure if it pertains to your conditions/species, but we always monitor the level, along with rising/falling/steady compared to the prior days. We have NOAA sensors we look at: Susky Levels You might find that info worth corelating, if available to you.

We also check the clarity which helps us choose our intial baits and colors. We use a black tube and where we can't see it anymore. Our waters are usually on the "dirty" side, though. Generally clear water, a white would probably be better. If your waters are consistantly the same, probably not worth recording.

My issue these days, is that I let my years of expierence cloud my judgement sometimes. As an example, last time out, the water was colder and mid-october, I wouldn't try top-water. But my son did and he caught the most and the bigger fish that AM.

Remember, always keep it fun. :)

Once I get the boat in the water it will be nothing but posting. I spent over 20 years working in Tulsa as a welder. Henryetta to Tulsa depending on job location was a 60 mile trip one way. Not only a long ride and most was done on motorcycles I averaged 11 hour days 6 days a week. Traveling HWY 75 it got old watching all the boats heading south while I headed north to go to work. Weekends was the real killer. During Crappie season it was a sea of pickups and boats heading south to Lake Eufaula. Even if I got a day off there was always something that needed to get done around the place so fishing was very seldom. I live about 5 miles from a boat ramp that is located on the Deep Fork River. Two miles down the river and your in the lake. Have one of the best Bass lakes in Oklahoma located about 10 miles north of Henryetta. Dripping Springs does not allow water skiing or jet skiing. No tubing allowed. Fishing only. Between Social Security and the side money I make off the place selling livestock and eggs I have no need to work a outside job. Not rich by any means but I do OK. So yes I plan on spending a lot of time fishing. Keeping it simple a 14 foot Lonestar fishing deluxe that is lightweight and will be set up for solo fishing with a small 6 horse outboard. Cost effective but comfortable. Have about 4 traps for perch that I get out of my pond. Rabbits supply plenty of manure for growing some big nightcrawlers and casting net will pick up the slack. Cost effective fishing to say the least. During the peak fishing season I plan on hitting it more than twice a week. So yes there will be a lot of pictures.
So you are saying you are ok in OK? :LOL:

Not really interested in pictures. Mostly weather and water conditions. Info logged on paper than transferred to home computer. Will keep both a hard copy and info on home computer.

Last edited:
Once I get the boat in the water it will be nothing but posting. I spent over 20 years working in Tulsa as a welder. Henryetta to Tulsa depending on job location was a 60 mile trip one way. Not only a long ride and most was done on motorcycles I averaged 11 hour days 6 days a week. Traveling HWY 75 it got old watching all the boats heading south while I headed north to go to work. Weekends was the real killer. During Crappie season it was a sea of pickups and boats heading south to Lake Eufaula. Even if I got a day off there was always something that needed to get done around the place so fishing was very seldom. I live about 5 miles from a boat ramp that is located on the Deep Fork River. Two miles down the river and your in the lake. Have one of the best Bass lakes in Oklahoma located about 10 miles north of Henryetta. Dripping Springs does not allow water skiing or jet skiing. No tubing allowed. Fishing only. Between Social Security and the side money I make off the place selling livestock and eggs I have no need to work an outside job. Not rich by any means but I do OK. So yes I plan on spending a lot of time fishing. Keeping it simple a 14 foot Lonestar fishing deluxe that is lightweight and will be set up for solo fishing with a small 6 horse outboard. Cost effective but comfortable. Have about 4 traps for perch that I get out of my pond. Rabbits supply plenty of manure for growing some big nightcrawlers and casting net will pick up the slack. Cost effective fishing to say the least. During the peak fishing season I plan on hitting it more than twice a week. So yes there will be a lot of pictures.
Once you’re able to do this, heaven! I have a question, since you’re a welder. My daughter has welding equipment ( another story) but no experience. Can you suggest the best way to learn? She’s watched everything on YouTube. I have an older 14” I’d love to mod.

Not really interested in pictures. Mostly weather and water conditions. Info logged on paper than transferred to home computer. Will keep both a hard copy and info on home computer.

I was referring to the image shown on your fish finder -- depth, water temp, cover, speed, etc. Sounds like you will capture all that on paper and transfer to your digital document.

I have never used a fish finder so had no clue what info it provides. My bust👍

Kind of funny to think we fished for years without one. Didn't know what we were missing I guess.

The Navionics web app (free) allows zooming in on an area. I know you don't want pics but might be cool to show the spot with bottom contours, etc. The one attached shows a section near the Belle Starr Marina.

Eufaula.png

If it is allowed on your lake and they sink x-mas trees for crappie habitat, a depthfinder/gps may be of good value.