FLY CHUCKERS TIN BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy to relate this. Two guys can fly Fish in a 12' boat. A couple of guys and myself did it for years till we could afford a bigger boat.
Never a mishap. The best time we ever had was rowing around a small lake. We caught a few Swallows who were nesting in the cliff near the boat.

On those pointy bow boats, you just waste your time trying to stand and fish on that Bow part if you hi-decked it.

It's good to hear from you on the fly boat project. Sometimes I think the spin guys think we fly chuckers do cart wheels before each cast. (ha, ha). I have decided to go through with the project and use the original boat (14 foot, wide bow with a modified V bottom). I do plan to go with oars also and am still kicking the stabilizer idea around. I have some 12" aluminum pipe and a welding machine so I may try that. The casting deck will be a guessing game regarding how high to build it. I have also pondered a leaning rail like the big water inflatables up your way. (I get to MT at least once a year). Your probably right on the rod holders. A couple of sticks of pvc would do the trick. Thanks for your input and look for my post in the future. I plan to do pics as I go and post it on here for others to see.
tight lines, eb

tcampbell011 said:
it's nice to see a fellow fly fisherman. I've got a couple suggestions...

FF on small boats (slow water/lakes) works if one guy is fly casting and the other guy is spin casting. The guy that's fly fishing has to cast with his casting arm away from the center (which limits you to one side of the boat). I had a 12 footer and I got rid of it for a 14ft Jon.

If it were me I would put some oars and oar locks on your johnboat so you can sit on the bench (or a cooler if it needs to be higher) and row. Then what you do is position the bow facing upstream while you face the transom and row backwards. Basically this turns the boat into a drift boat. The person that's fishing would ideally be standing on a bow casting platform. Although a disadvantage is the boat passes over the fish before the angler can cast to them. This is how the trout guides do it on the MO River up here in Montana and this is how my jonboat is set up.

Another suggestion is for rod storage. Get some PVC pipe and run it along the inside edge of the gunwale. Then cut out half of the pipe about 4in long at the ends where you want the reel to be. If you've even seen the rod storage in a drift boat you'd know what this looks like. It works really well on my boat.

Another suggestion would be to look into deployable foam stabilizers but I don't know anything about that.

thudpucker said:
I'm happy to relate this. Two guys can fly Fish in a 12' boat. A couple of guys and myself did it for years till we could afford a bigger boat.
Never a mishap. The best time we ever had was rowing around a small lake. We caught a few Swallows who were nesting in the cliff near the boat.

On those pointy bow boats, you just waste your time trying to stand and fish on that Bow part if you hi-decked it.

I feel you on the pointy bows. The problem is that I need a keel for the wave chop on blustery days. I will try different heights for the deck and see which is good. Man, I hope she isn't too tippy.
Thanks, eb

Hey how's the build coming along?? It's just starting to thaw up here. Your boat sounds perfect to fish the "Land of the Giants" it's near Helena directly below Houser dam. Look it up on YouTube!

Do you live around these parts?? Not too many people on here near me lol. We are the third biggest state in the lower 48 and only have one telephone area code.

my wife and i fly fish out of my 14 ft. g3 v 90% of the time we fish.i set it up just for fly fishing its decked to the top of the seats from the 1st seat to the bow and floor decked in the middle.i weigh 250 and i stand at the bow and chuck flies all day.its very stable and not at all "tippy".on my build i tried to keep as much clutter as i could off the floors and inside the storage under the decks,so i wasn't snagging junk with my unspooled line.so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0002_0446.jpg
    IMG_0002_0446.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 532
I have a 12' and will watch this thread with interest.

You hurt me in my Head! :LOL2:

All my Years in Washington Stat, B.C. and Alaska spent fishing in 12' 14' and a 16' I never thought to deck that front end.
Loose fly lines can pick up the smallest things.
We needed the room for other kinds of fish, but I sure could have made a Top Cover to come back half way and sit on the seat like yours does. =D>
Where were you when I needed them ideas? #-o

Wanna see the kind of weather we get to fish in?

This is my neighbors Saw mill. It used to be on the left of the photo till last night.
DSCF5852_stitch.jpg

Any word lately on your boat? I'm interested to see how it turns out!