Follow up ?: What style of tackle box do YOU prefer & why?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this one from Cabelas. It holds 8 large Plano boxes and three smaller ones. I tried switching to a hard box, but came back to this. I like the flexibility of being able to swap out boxes for different species, styles etc. It also holds way more tackle than any other hard box I have ever seen (for all us tackle junkies)!

s7_121302_007_01.jpg

I also recently bought one of theses Columbia PFG duffle bags.

https://www.columbia.com/Bullshark%E2%84%A2-Duffel---L/UU9711,default,pd.html

The original intent was to use it for rain gear, camera, sweater, snacks etc., but when I got it home I discovered that it is also sized to fit the large Plano boxes as well, so I can throw a couple of Plano boxes and all my other gear into one bag for a day on the water.

The big thing for me was the amount of bank fishing I still do. Not having to dedicate one hand to carrying the tackle is a big plus for me. If I was only bank fishing, I'd really like the backpack style.

Nevillizer said:
"Interesting that no one really goes with hard plastc boxes/cases anymore. Are the bags really THAT much better?"
I still use he old plano style hardcase open chest style. It opens up and there it all is. Since I minimumly fish five lures it fits my needsjust fine. On a sperate note, my fishing partner has a bad habbit of leaveing it unlatched. Nothing is more disturbing then grabbing the handle to pick it up and you dump it it out inside itslef. :twisted: I've just about got him broke from that habbit.

That happened to me all the time last year, and one of the reasons I went back to the bag!

Troutman3000 said:
I like the soft bags too, but I still use my Dad's old tackle box. You can see it in the bottom right corner. Feel like I got a piece of him with me when I go fishing.

Yea, I know what you mean. I have one of my Dad's old fishing reels. One of my favorites. They don't make them anymore. I'm going fishing with Dad in a few weeks. I'm gonna see if I can talk him out of one of his tackle boxes. :)

I use the same bag as BaitCaster from Cabella's. Holds all my 3700 series boxes and some other gear too. Can easily carry it to another boat or in the house to re-organize if I need to. My plastics all go in a couple plastic boxes that I got from WalMart withlLocking handles and they stack. I leave them right under my steering console for when I want to fish plastics. Both are organized into different categories so I can find what I want quickly. If I'm fishing plastics from someone else's boat or from shore....I have a zippered bag that I put a selected assortment in for easy carrying.

I have a Plano bag that holds 4 3700s. I mark the end of the box facing up with what is in it. I love this bag. It fits a ton of stuff with the 2 side pockets and large front pocket. I just switch out the boxes for different applications. Not to much, almost never to little

I use a BPS backpack style tackle bag... this year model is blue and orange but the one I bought last year is black and gray. It will hold 8 small boxes or 5 large and has alot of pockets and sleeves... the only thing I don't like is that I don't have anywhere for my plastics ( I carry alot of em!). I like to walk back to small ponds that people don't know about or don't fish alot so the backpack style makes this much easier on me!

i've been using my fly fishing vest for the last few years.it has too many pockets,and i take forever to find something. this year i think i'm getting a plano box. that black/grey one would go nice in my boat

I down sized from approx. 3 or 4 tackle boxes to about 12 plastic boxes from Flambeau or Plano size 9" X 14" depending on the price at the time I bought them. I now leave them in my boat under the boatport/carport I built beside my house in the built in tackle/storage box in my boat. My boatport has locked doors on both ends and is totally enclosed. The rest of the lures are in boxes on shelves and I just replenish from those other boxes.

Attachments

• lure box2.jpg
    lure box2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • lure box1.jpg
    lure box1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • lure box.jpg
    lure box.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,275
I just made the change from a three foldout tray hard case, to a four tray soft case. For the fishing I do the hard case takes to much room on the boat, I always have to move things to get a open, level spot for it to fold out. The soft side opens in the space it sits in, and all the trays are labeled and organized for the type of lure, for bank fishing The shoulder strap is great. Plus all my stuff fits in it with room to spare, so now I can buy more lures.

I'm on foot patrol 95% of the time so a back pack with a few plaino boxes is ideal for stuff with treble hooks, and extra worms get carried in a worm binder. For the stuff that's needed the fastest (like baits, hooks, snaps, pliers) I keep a few of in the very front pocket so I'm not rifling through the bag every time I need something

I have a couple sizes of this box.

It's called a Special Mate.For its size it holds the most baits for me

Attachments

• tackle box 001.jpg
    tackle box 001.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,421
  • tackle box 002.jpg
    tackle box 002.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 1,421
https://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY6cDqkc8eMZQ4aSFd2wrUU4-Rjjo3pgBQnvkLGq1nWex-6vIKIw

This is mine. I've got all I need and more in it.

Like the soft bags more because everything feels more organized and compact than the hard boxes.

I use a little of all of it as you can see in the pics. I have another small box that I use for catfishing that is not in the pic. My son and daughter have their own tackle box too.

Attachments

• rsz_tackle_boxes_003.jpg
    rsz_tackle_boxes_003.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,413
In addition to my Cabela's Magnum Bag I also use this Plano Bill Dance tackle box, but strictly for my salmon/steelhead tackle.

Attachments

• thumb2.jpg
    thumb2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,406
cali27 said:
https://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY6cDqkc8eMZQ4aSFd2wrUU4-Rjjo3pgBQnvkLGq1nWex-6vIKIw

This is mine. I've got all I need and more in it.

Like the soft bags more because everything feels more organized and compact than the hard boxes.

I bought this bag on clearance just before Christmas last year. I use it as luggage for my clothes. Works very well and I can get close to a weeks worth of clothes in it. It seems to be built very well too.

I've got a bag style box that I take with me If I'm going somewhere that requires me to walk in. It's lighter and i can just throw the strap over my shoulder. It does make walking several miles (through the woods, up and down bluffs, through semi-dried up creek beds) a lot easier. But I have several bigger tackle boxes for everything else. I like the big fold-open tray style, like my granddady always had. I can put everything in those things and they seem to be more durable. I wish I had a dollar for every "stowaway" or "utility storage box" that I've shattered into a million pieces. Plus it seems to take longer to get out the stowaways and find what bait im looking for, then get it out and put it on, then put the stowaway back so I don't step on it. Where with the tray I can just open, pull out bait, then close. Simple, durable, and fast.

I just recently upgraded from an older Plano Guide Series with three removable 3700's to a Plano Fishouflage bag very similar to this one...

4486%20%5B320x200%5D.jpg

Not only is it fishouflage, which is sweet, but I got it at Wal-Mart for $30 and it included 4 3700's plastic boxes. Each of those goes for about $6 so really the bag was only $6 itself! And the best part, I've got more room so now I can buy more stuff!

Well, since Plano Molding is only 30 miles away, I have mostly all Plano boxes/bags/plastic trays, etc. I do have a couple Cabela's soft bags that I bought on clearance really cheap ( like $6 for a $35 bag).

Now, what wasn't said was that Plano has an outlet store at their plant where everything is about 50-80% off. My main box is the 737, which I paid $21 for : https://www.planomolding.com/fishing/fishing-products/ at the time, they were $50 at Bass Pro or Cabela's.

The 737 is my main big box for lures, spinners and misc. I have soft bags for jigs and plastics and small plastic case for crappie stuff and another for live bait set ups - Lindy's, drop shots, Carolina's jig & minnow, crawler rigs, etc.

I also have a small bag which holds three plastic boxes which have an assortment of stuff that I take for short shore fishing trips to various lakes/rivers for the 1-3 hour mornings/afternoons. Usually throw that in a 5 gal bucket along with two rods, stringer, pliers, fish gloves, etc., pick up the bucket and I'm good to go :)

FishyItch said:
I just recently upgraded from an older Plano Guide Series with three removable 3700's to a Plano Fishouflage bag very similar to this one...

4486%20%5B320x200%5D.jpg

Not only is it fishouflage, which is sweet, but I got it at Wal-Mart for $30 and it included 4 3700's plastic boxes. Each of those goes for about $6 so really the bag was only $6 itself! And the best part, I've got more room so now I can buy more stuff!

My girlfriend just got me one of these for my birthday and i like it but im probably just going to remove the plastic boxes and use the whole thing to carry all of my soft plastics and keep everything else in my BPS backpack.

Latest posts