Frankenfish Lives!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
Hey guys, one of my colleagues happened to send me this link. :shock:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/angler-may-have-broken-world-record-with-snakehead-caught-in-occoquan-river/2012/05/17/gIQAcBD6WU_story.html

A world record sized snakehead pulled out of the river just a few miles from my house! I still haven't actually landed a snakehead, I need to get on that... I'm jealous, but also enthusiastic about it, I'd love to catch something like this

Actually, it became supper...Thank Goodness. :LOL2:

If all the things they say is true about this species, it can ruin allot of fishing water.

Most of the things they say are greatly exaggerated (like most fishing stories :---) ), although it depends the size of the fishery. The Potomac River is such a large fishery that there's been little impact. One of the local creeks (Dogue Creek) is one with a considerable snakehead population, but other species haven't suffered in noticeable numbers. I can certainly see them dominating a small pond, but at this point, I'm definitely not worried about them wiping out the game fish on the Potomac.

I went out over the weekend for the first time in about a month. This seemed to connect to the prior post since I caught it in an area close to where the fish in the article was caught.

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 316
I'll say it was pretty neat to catch it, I had no doubt whatsoever what I was fighting when this hit. It took the spinnerbait I was using and peeled line for a good 30 seconds. I know there wasn't a bass in that water that was going to have a run like that in it.