Fritz's 1968 14' StarCraft Falcon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to bend the channel today. I tried to insert chunks of wood inside to prevent unnecessary bending:IMG_0980.JPG

I messed up though...when trying to straighten it, I creased and tore the aluminum where it was bent.

As promised, here is a picture of the material I have for framing and decking:IMG_0982.JPG

The big pieces to the left were free from work. Everything else came from a metal scrap yard and only cost $20. The piece that's just to the right of the StarCraft logo, I have a total of four of those. The piece that's resting diagonally by my stern is an 8' long aluminum piano hinge. Also in the mix are some road signs that came from an apartment complex.

I want this boat to last…lol

keep the motor if it's running, because you've effectively only paid 100 for the package as you mentioned. Its a good sized motor for that boat IMO and if you sold it you'd just pay more for a better motor! Haha, awesome build!

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I'm now waffling between a tiller set-up or a forward center console… I mentioned before, I'm hoping to make this boat into a fishing/duck hunting boat. I hear duck hunters complain about a center console taking up too much floor space, but then fishing friends say how nice it is to be able to stand while steering to look for weed beds. Any opinions?

I haven't had much time to work on the boat - got a new vehicle, took a camping trip, and have been working overtime like crazy.

I did get a new transom glued up tonight:
IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

I'd have done this two days ago, but we had overnight lows in the 30's.. Titebond III is not recommended to be used below 50.

Been pretty busy at work, usually pulling 14 hours of OT each week. I've made a little progress on the trailer; here it is before:IMG_0943.JPG
Here's where I'm at today after 1 rattle can of Rustoleum Stops Rust:IMG_1053.JPG
I've got a coat on each side of the transom so far. I'm going to drill the holes soon so I can hang it and coat the be-jesus out of the entire thing at one time

Getting back online after a minor hiatus. I've been camping and fishing a lot lately.
I've got the transom dropped in, now I just need to bolt it on.
I've also re-riveted the first piece of gunwale trim channel back on.
Oh, I also painted the trailer gray with a brush.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,857
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,857
I came across a 35hp tiller for cheap on Craigslist. I'm not excited that it's a Force but it is in great shape. I also got a great deal on the 9.9 Evinrude to use as a kicker on my trolling boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,835
Electric start 35 hp Force tiller = $250
I still have that 35 hp Johnson too.. ..it's being worked on at a Marine shop. I have to call and check on that.

Master-deBaiter said:
Electric start 35 hp Force tiller = $250
I still have that 35 hp Johnson too.. ..it's being worked on at a Marine shop. I have to call and check on that.

$250 for a 35HP!? You stole that! =D> Why would they sell it for only $250?

CMOS :D

I'm a little concerned about the cheap price; however, it shifts smooth and doesn't have any problem starting (it has a brand new starter)
I'm definitely going to replace the impeller and/or water pump next season as a precautionary measure.

MDB,

I would suggest you replace that impeller now. It's still in unknown condition. Better to be safe and not risk the motor. It's a quick and easy thing to do.

CMOS

Fixed up the dented side with an aluminum "band-aid"

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 907
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 907
Thank you Jethro!

I finished getting the port-side trim back on after a little bending & two small cuts where it wouldn't bend:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 898
Decided to be cheap and use wood for framing instead of aluminum

Attachments

• IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 868
Got the rough cuts done on the front deck, added some aluminum bracing underneath the wide cross-piece, and added more 2x2 braces

Attachments

• IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG