Fuel water separator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 1992 Yamaha MSHQ 40hp that’s been sitting a little over a year because of work I had to do to the boat. I’m ready to get back on he water and about to service and inspect the motor before starting it. I drained the carburetors before letting it sit. Hopefully I won’t have to open them.
I’ve ran nothing but none ethanol fuel with Start Tron marine treatment premixed in a portable fuel tank. I installed a fuel water separator with the new fuel system when I first got the boat in 2020. It’s the Yamaha mini filter 10 micron. I’ve never had any water problems but was about to change it before the issues with the boat came up.
I have kept a spare filter on a shelf in the box this whole time in my none climate controlled shop. There shouldn’t be anything wrong with it after all this time should it? It’s never gotten rained on just been through cold and hot weather here in Texas.
Next question I can’t find a replacement filter for the Yamaha mini anywhere,National back ordered. I have two options I can swap the assembly for a different one or I found Sierra has a replacement for the Yamaha. I don’t want to be without a spare since I’m about to do a change when servicing and inspection on the motor before I pull the cord. Is Sierra a good filter?
If so I’ll get one for my spare. It has identical specs as the Yamaha. I’m just an OEM guy that got my first tin boat so I thought I’d ask for some opinions on here from the more informed and experienced. Sometimes a say all I know when I say hello. 😂
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
EDIT: Since I posted this I found the Yamaha at a couple of sources but if the Sierra is just as good I’ll go with it because of price. Since I started fixing up the boat prices have tripled on parts. When I decided to start the motor just in case I’ll need to open the carburetors I figured I’d look at the kit for the three. In 2021 I paid $80 for it. Now the same kit and same company it’s $250. Other places $285. Good thing I bought extra parts back then when I rebuilt the carburetors. I went out to my shop and slid open the little drawer in the bin and there in a box is extra o ring gaskets for top and bottom along with other parts. Even extra screws. The gaskets where my main worry if I have to clean the carburetors or fix a stuck float.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you should be fine whether you run non ethenol or not ! You treated the fuel and you drained the carbs....biggest help you could give !! As far as Sierra filters, your fine....there are a few things I would prefer to be OEM, but filters are fine !! Good luck, I think you did your homework !!

In my opinion, you should be fine whether you run non ethenol or not ! You treated the fuel and you drained the carbs....biggest help you could give !! As far as Sierra filters, your fine....there are a few things I would prefer to be OEM, but filters are fine !! Good luck, I think you did your homework !!
Thank you airshot. I’m working on one last project so I can get it checked out and in the water. Ever since I finished the boat and got to this point something happens to pull me off of it. My wife’s car took about a week to fix/maintenance. Then a month later the aftermarket valve cover I used blew out. All oem not available. I cleaned it up put a new one on and added a little sealer. Then the check engine light came on. Last Saturday I watched a rollback drop off my wife’s new car and pick that one up.
Now I have an older neighbor lady that I’ve always dropped everything for if she needed help because she helped us when we moved in here 10 years ago. We’ve been friends ever since. She has never called me unless she absolutely needed me. Now I have a big Husqvarna 54” cut in my shop with all kinds of problems. I’m about done with it.
I told my wife I’m going to weld the boat trailer to my truck and never taking it off. She’s ready for me to be gone fishing. She’s tired of hearing me fuss. Plus the longer it takes the more ideas I mention to her that’ll spend more money. 😂

Thank you airshot. I’m working on one last project so I can get it checked out and in the water. Ever since I finished the boat and got to this point something happens to pull me off of it. My wife’s car took about a week to fix/maintenance. Then a month later the aftermarket valve cover I used blew out. All oem not available. I cleaned it up put a new one on and added a little sealer. Then the check engine light came on. Last Saturday I watched a rollback drop off my wife’s new car and pick that one up.
Now I have an older neighbor lady that I’ve always dropped everything for if she needed help because she helped us when we moved in here 10 years ago. We’ve been friends ever since. She has never called me unless she absolutely needed me. Now I have a big Husqvarna 54” cut in my shop with all kinds of problems. I’m about done with it.
I told my wife I’m going to weld the boat trailer to my truck and never taking it off. She’s ready for me to be gone fishing. She’s tired of hearing me fuss. Plus the longer it takes the more ideas I mention to her that’ll spend more money. 😂
Yep....its called " life happens" we all go thru it !! Some days are worse and some days are better, if we had O issues in our lives, we would be dead !!!

Yep....its called " life happens" we all go thru it !! Some days are worse and some days are better, if we had O issues in our lives, we would be dead !!!
You are correct sir. I know I’ll make to the water when the time is right. Then I’ll be rewarded. Even if I don’t get a bite I enjoy the piece. Especially in this old boat. It’s not fancy but I’ll be able to kick back and look around saying I made this work with my own two hands.