Fusing Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Getting a plan together for wiring for my boat. I was looking at the paper from the front running light and it calls for a 2amp fuse. I'm going to wire both the running and stern light togther on a 3 way switch. What should I use for a fuse amperage considering both lights will be on the same circuit?
Also, does anyone know what I should fuse a Rule 500 GPH pump at?

acording to the rule website the 500gph pump should be fused at 2.5 amps...

You may want to consider putting an inline fuse on each positive wire coming off your switch running to your lights. That way a short or other problem in one does not take out both.

If the pump calls for a 2.5 amp fuse? USE A 2.5 AMP FUSE!
If you use a 5 amp fuse and that pump stops turning it will start on fire. The fuse is there to protect the motor. Using a fuse higher than recommended could lead to you buying a new fire extinguisher and thousands of dollars for a new boat to go under it.

Hanr3 said:
If the pump calls for a 2.5 amp fuse? USE A 2.5 AMP FUSE!
If you use a 5 amp fuse and that pump stops turning it will start on fire. The fuse is there to protect the motor. Using a fuse higher than recommended could lead to you buying a new fire extinguisher and thousands of dollars for a new boat to go under it.

I have to check if i can get a 2.5 amp in the style I need. I looked through my fuses and currently the closest I have is a 3 amp. I can stop about anytime to check on that. Not needed at the moment anyway.
yeah, I wouldn't use a 5 amp in a circuit that calls for a 2.5. That would be a bad idea.

CarlF said:
You may want to consider putting an inline fuse on each positive wire coming off your switch running to your lights. That way a short or other problem in one does not take out both.
Divide watts by volts to give you amps ie: 30watts divided by 12volts = 2.5amps remember you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. You my want to watch your wire size all so under sizing wires will cause higher amps .