Galvanized Trailer, Paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crank'in

Reaction score
As I am working on updating the trailer and making it safe to travel down the road again, I cannot figure out how to bring the finish back to life. It's a galvanized trailer but it has a light corrosion on it basically everywhere. It's not to the point of making it 'unsafe' (no rust), but enough of annouyance (purely cosmetic) to drive a guy nuts! I know the guy that I bought it from put it in the Pacific a few times, and I am sure that's why the corrosion exists. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, or is painting an option? I thought about a light sanding but want to explore my options before scuffing it up and making it worse. Thanks in advance for any advice.... By the I'll be posting pics of some of the framing that I've done so far soon...

Crank'in

Once it has started corroding, there is very little you can do. Both with painted and galvanized trailers, you need to grind/wire brush it down to clean steel, then hit it with paint or cold galvanizing spray. Not sure how the color of the cold spray will be with the hot dipped stuff though.

Oh, you've already started to rust... :( You'll probably have to do what BassBoy1 says above about the grinding... I used this stuff on my leaf springs on my trailer a few weeks ago... A little sense of security/longevity... :mrgreen: $50 and 40min later... I had a brand-new set of leaf springs on...

CIMG3817.jpg

FYI: I coated a new set of springs, and installed them... I didn't just paint the old rusted ones... [-X Duh.

~LCA.

I kind of figured that was the case, but it never hurts to ask.. Thanks for the advice.

Hey LCA were you able to pick that stuff up at your local hardware or automotive store?

Crank'in

Started to grind off some corrosion tonight, what a pain in the @#$. Turns out it's worse than I thought, so it's a good thing that I'm doing it. I'll post some pic tomorrow.

Hey everyone sorry for the delay... After my last post I took some pics and went to upload them to the 'ol computer' and it no longer worked....... and still is not working #-o !! Thought I'd throw in a post from work. I hope to have all problems (computer related) solved within a week and add some pics of my progress...

Crank'in

Latest posts