Gauge of wire required, battery to trolling motor socket?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, desperately trying to figure this one out...but bare with me for the back story!

Last fall, I bought a gently used Minn Kota 65PD that had been taken off a Bass Bro/Tracker boat. It is a 24V motor, came with the whole set-up that ran it in the previous boat. 2 batteries, and a charger. It was recommended to me to get the MK circuit breaker, now the whole pile is installed, and I have NO clue on where to being with the connections. (if it would help, I wouldn't mind photographing it all if someone can offer me step by step instructions....I wish.. :roll: ) On to the question;

I called the local Minn Kota service shop and they first asked if I had the wire to run from the socket back to the batteries. When I told them I didn't, then they suggested 8gauge marine-grade wire. When I investigated the price of this wire, it got me wondering if indeed, this was the right stuff? Will this even mate with the Minn Kota socket? (they're made by Marineco I think..?) 8 gauge seems really heavy...but I'm anxious to know. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Yea a picture would help so we have a common frame of reference.

Here's what I have on my boat. 6ga from the battery(s) to the MK circuit breaker. Then 10ga from circuit breaker to plug. The reason for the larger gauge wire is to minimize the voltage drop between the battery and trolling motor. Depending on the distance between the two you may or may not need to go that large.

--Poolie

that's what I ran , it is much heavier then what is from the motor to the plug but it's better than the alternative of not being heavy enough isn't it?

8 gauge fits in most(prob.all)plugs(sockets)when you go to a heavier gauge(which is needed sometimes)you might have to buy an adapter to make the 6(or heavier)gauge fit.
How far of a run to where your batteries are stored?

Photos will follow soon, I promise! Long story short, the distance from the battery to the female receptacle will be approx. 15' when the dust settles. If memory serves, I THINK the guy said that 10g would be a sure thing if the batteries were closer, but better to go 8g considering the distance. Re: marine grade/non-marine grade...I've been bugging as many people as I can with this question, and have had the following responses;

1."run whichever you want, they'll both need replacing in 5-6 years"
2."marine if you're crimping, standard will do if you're soldering"
3."standard is fine, it's easy/cheap to replace if required"
4."marine if you're burying the wires where they'll be impossible to get at"

So yeah...I'm confused! Thanks for the input so far BTW, and please...keep it coming!!!!

OK, the job is done...with some help from my brother in law. :wink: That marine-grade wire purchase hurt....8g @$2.00 a foot (x2, one black one red) So, at $4.00 a running foot, I picked-up 24' after figuring out how to route it. My helper (rather, I was helping him) checked the voltage at the female socket end at the bow, it was reading 24V. I'm guessing we ran the right gauge then, there was some concern it might drop over that distance. Fishing season opens in about 2 weeks!!!!!

Thanks for the input guys.
Rob

Latest posts