going trolling motor only for a year? what size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
i have asked this on several forumms, and have gotton so many different answers, i am just as confused as before. i have a 15' starcraft vee hull, made in 1963, and other than some corrosion on the transom that you good folks are helping me with, its a really solid boat. i want to get a trolling motor, and use only that to hunt and fish with for a season, so i can save for a new outboard. the thing is, i am in college, money is scary tight, and i am hopelessly addicted to fishing and duck hunting. after fixing the transom, paint, and rebuilding the trailer, i am not going to have alot left, so i am looking for way to power it for a season, so i can save for a good outboard. i dont want a used outboard because i know nothing about working on them, and the outboard mechs around here charge 60-100$ an hour. plus, if i buy a trolling motor, it will be something i will need/want anyway, after i do buy an outboard.
my question is how many lbs of thrust do i need to push my boat? i will have about 400 lbs between me and my brother, and our gear, 450 tops. i will stay in protected areas until i have a real outboard, so o rough water to worry about. i would like to be able to push into a 10-15 mph wind. is it possible to stay with a 12 volt motor, and have enough power? i was thinking a 55 lb minn kota. if i need any bigger, ill have to go with 24 volts, making me have to add another battery, but i dont mind, if the 55 wont handle it. so i guess my question is can i get by with a 50-55, or should i jump to the 70-80 lb?
and my other question is can i get a 2 mile round trip from a trolling motor without totally draining my battery?
thanks for all your help.

55lb minimun. I have a 40# on my 14' Alumacraft FD and it does me fine, but you have a heavier boat.

I have a 46 pound thrust TM on my 19' Proteam 190TX and it's fine for the weight of my boat, so a 55 on yours should be fine. My boat with motor is about 1,350 pounds dry weight, empty.

I use a 50 lbs on a 16 foot modV,works fine all day.
I've never gone full throttle,for 2 miles before though.Back again makes 4 miles at about 4mph,I think I'd go nuts.
I'm not sure I would do it anyways...math is not my thing but a 12 volt trolling motor draws about + - an amp per pound of thrust so mine draws around 50 amps at full throttle.
So my battery has 120 ah and my TM draws 50 amp(full throttle).
120ah/50 amps=2.4 hours...probably real time less then 2 hours run time.
You don't want to run your battery low because it will kill it real fast(won't hold charge).
I don't know after I looked at it maybe your ok.
4mph...4 miles,should take you an hour +-? d=r*t so t=d/r
I look into one of those digital or maximizer ones,or maybe run 2 batteries parallel though.
Some used outboards will outlast newer ones if kept up right.

sorry i dint make that clear, just about a mile each way, total of 2 miles. thanks for all the replies.

You can do it. Will be incredibly boring however. I would start with a 55 pound, since batteries do get expensive, and since you are used to paddling a canoe, it would be an improvement in ease, even if the speed is about the same.

I have a 40# on my 16' semi V and it does just fine. I have a built in livewell made of fiberglass. a 25HP motor hanging on the back, 3 batteries , 6 gallons of gas, about 80# of aluminum I just tossed in, 20 + lbs of gear and 430 lbs or so in two people in it .

WalMart has a 50# MinnKota tiller with 42" shaft for $188.00 still on sale on line. I got one for Christmas and it works fine. The price is extremely good.

Latest posts