Gregor 13'4" Welded V and Trailer Renovation and Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustDucky

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been reading this site every day and it's inspired me to pick up an aluminum boat to fix up. I've got a 13'4" Gregor Welded Boats V-hull. The aluminum is in pretty good shape, no leaks or major dents, and I plan to do the full "Tinboats" treatment with a deck, front casting deck, switch panel, livewell, bilge, lights, etc. etc. We'll see how it turns out - I have no previous handyman experience (I'm an attorney by trade). I think that with your help I may be able to make something of this boat! Wish me luck!

By the way, the boat came with a nearly new Honda 4-stroke 8HP, 35 lb thrust Minn-Kota, ancient Humminbird Wide Eye fishfinder, portable GPS, and some other assorted boat stuff. I plan to turn this into a pure fishing machine.

Attachments

• a2j_IMG_0335.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0335.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,841
  • a2j_IMG_0336.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0336.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 3,841
  • a2j_IMG_0337.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0337.jpg
    1,005 KB · Views: 3,841
So far I've reno'd the trailer. I made new fixed bunks that are about twice as long as the old ones and then I stripped and repainted the whole thing. It's a start!

Attachments

• a2j_IMG_0343.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0343.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,833
  • a2j_IMG_0342.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0342.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,833
  • a2j_IMG_0341.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0341.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 3,833
  • a2j_IMG_0340.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0340.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,833
  • a2j_IMG_0339.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,833
Wow...nice rig to start with. Don't know what you paid but that motor alone is worth quite a bit. Be nice to see what you do.

I have been polishing the aluminum with Mother's. Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to remove all of the cloudy residue after polishing? It seems no matter how many times I apply the polish, there is always a cloudy residue left over. So far the only solution I have found is to ball up masking tape and vigorously rub the metal. That is very time consuming and uses a lot of tape, but it does leave the aluminum looking bright and shiny. So far, the failed methods include orbital buffer, terrycloth, WD40 w/ disposable shop towels... Any other suggestions would be welcome!

nice boat!

Trailer looks really long... wish mine was a little longer, cuz I can't open my tailgate!

I also see its a tilt trailer as well... I have one too, but havent decided if i wanna remove the tilt or not :?

good luck with your build!

Thanks! I just ordered all the remaining supplies I need for construction: aluminum, carpet, seats, glue, etc. - everything but the electronics and accessories, which I'll do last. I will have the boat shined and painted this weekend, and I'll post pictures. I'm just painting a stripe on each side and leaving the rest polished aluminum, and I'm adding a textured spray to the insides. The floor will be decked, so there is no need to paint it. Should look pretty good!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tinboats! I've gotten my modded Gregor tin seaworthy and ready to go fishing (tomorrow morning)!

I wish I had taken more picture while I was working, but you'll get the idea and I'll be happy to answer questions about how it's set up. I added supports made of 1 1/2" and 1" 6063 architectural aluminum angle between the rear and middle benches, and decked over with (non-pressure treated) exterior plywood triple-coated with spar urethane. The deck and new plywood bench seats are covered with marine carpet from boatcarpet.com and glued down with exterior carpet glue and stainless steel staples. All supports are riveted in with aluminum pop rivets, and plywood is riveted to the supports. No rivets go through the hull.

The foremost and rearmost benches are filled with flotation foam, but the center bench was empty, so I turned it into storage. Currently it houses my second battery which will eventually power lights, bilge, livewell, and fishfinder. I added a new plywood bulkhead at the front and created a deck over from it to the front. There are four hatches on the bow, and a pedestal seat. The largest center hatch houses an igloo cooler which I am turning into a livewell. All deck hardware included hatch pulls, screws, and piano hinges is stainless steel.

She is currently powered by an 8HP 2007 Honda fourstroke outboard, 35# thrust minn-kota trolling motor, and 2 105 a/h deep cycle batteries.

Oh, also I painted exterior stripes, added new factory Gregor decals and new registration numbers, and coated the interior where it is not carpeted with textured paint.

Next I'll need a name! Any suggestions are welcome! She's a 70's era Gregor 13'4", I live in San Francisco, CA, if those are any inspiration!

Thanks again for all the inspiration! I'll post pics of any fish I catch tomorrow!

Attachments

• a2j_IMG_0404.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0404.jpg
    847.6 KB · Views: 3,450
  • a2j_IMG_0405.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0405.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,450
And here's the finished product!

Attachments

• a2j_IMG_0424.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0424.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0423.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0423.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0422.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0421.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0421.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0420.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0420.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0419.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0419.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,448
  • a2j_IMG_0418.jpg
    a2j_IMG_0418.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,448
Not sure if you figured out the aluminum polishing yet. When I had a crotch rocket we used to hit the rims with super fine steel wool then use the mothers. It will really make it shine!!

Latest posts