Grumman 1649 Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just is steel flexed my boat Friday, At work no less.. :) It is a pita, but well worth it in the end, I learned from the first go around i didnt need nor want to make the bottom look like a new boat prior to applying, I took a flap disc and a wire wheel and went over the whole bottom in 3 hrs. Boat looks good BTW. Have fun.

Bugpac said:
I just is steel flexed my boat Friday, At work no less.. :) It is a pita, but well worth it in the end, I learned from the first go around i didnt need nor want to make the bottom look like a new boat prior to applying, I took a flap disc and a wire wheel and went over the whole bottom in 3 hrs. Boat looks good BTW. Have fun.

I only spent less than a hour on the bottom. I used a wire wheel but some of the places look a little shiny to me so I'm going to hit it with some rough sand paper and that's it.

reedjj said:
Thats a nice Big Jon! Lots of possibilities there. what are your plans?

Painting inside and Steelflexing the bottom. Replacing anything that was made of wood with aluminum. Floor, steering console and storage boxes. Using vinyl instead of carpet and that's about it.

Got the jack plate painted and mounted Saturday. Sealed it with 5200. I tested it Sunday by filling the boat with water and no leaks. Next is to install the steering console and motor controls.

Attachments

• Boat 104-1.jpg
    Boat 104-1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Boat 100-1.jpg
    Boat 100-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 858
  • Boat 097-1.jpg
    Boat 097-1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 858
Steering console and throttle control is done. I got a few small items to take care of and she will be ready to go fish. I still have a lot of mods left to do but I'm ready to do some fishing. Going to try and go Good Friday.

Attachments

• Boat 125-1.jpg
    Boat 125-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 751
Installed the Decko Dot vinyl flooring on the bench seats. I used indoor/outdoor carpet glue. I was not pleased with the turn out. The first bench I did I used the smallest notched trowel I could find and it was way to thick. This vinyl telegraphs anything that is under it. The first side of the bench I tried rolling it smooth but ended up on the second half just pulling it up and raking as much as I could off. I used a short piece of PVC pipe as a rolling pin until I got it all squeezed out from under the vinyl. The second bench which is the front one I used a throw away paint brush. You have to apply it thick enough that it will not dry before you lay down the vinyl but not to thick to cause telegraphing. I'm pleased with how that turned out. More than 24 hours later it still has not dried completely. The label does say 24 - 48 hour cure time. All the edges that I have rolled over have come undone while I was at work today. Going to get a spray can of contact cement to do the edges.

Attachments

• Boat 132-1.jpg
    Boat 132-1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 731
  • Boat 131-1.jpg
    Boat 131-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 731
She's ready to go fishing. I'm still not done modding her yet. Got the floor to do along with some lighting for night fishing. The shad are running the bulkheads and the kitty's are a biting.

Attachments

• Boat 150-1.jpg
    Boat 150-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 719
  • Boat 144-1.jpg
    Boat 144-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 719
  • Boat 142-1.jpg
    Boat 142-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 719
rusty.hook said:
Did you build the jack plate, and why did you need it unless the motor is a long shaft and boat is the short shaft style.

I built the jackplate myself. I just copied the dimensions from the one that was on it as it seemed to work just fine. The one that was on it was made of thin sheet metal and wood. I went with all aluminum. If I understand what I think I know now I would have built it about an inch taller. Right now the cavitation plate is about 2"-3" below the bottom of the boat. I believe it should be flush with the bottom.

Took the tin out for the first time since modding her. Didn't get a lot of pics we were to busy fighting the wind. It was fine as long as you stayed within 100yds of the shore after that wow. Well the boat worked great. I was pleased with how everything turned out except for some dummy mounted the steering in upside down so you have to steer right to go left. Going to fired that guy. Anyways here's a couple pics of us out this mourning.

Attachments

• Boat 163-1.jpg
    Boat 163-1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 676
  • Boat 153-1.jpg
    Boat 153-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 676
Installed some led lights. First pic was with flash. Second from the same position without flash. Third is a side view.

Attachments

• boat2 022-1.jpg
    boat2 022-1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 656
  • boat2 024-1.jpg
    boat2 024-1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 656
  • boat2 018-1.jpg
    boat2 018-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 656