Gunnel Extensions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rysenne

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post here, I tried to search for this but went through 33 pages on searches for "gunnels" and didn't find anything to do with gunnel extensions. I recently bought my first boat a Deep Water 1730 deep v boat. It has a front casting deck which I'm planning in replacing thus year, I likely will gut it and start from scratch. But what I can't find info on is aluminum gunnel extensions. What I was thinking was building 4" wide gunnels and having them welded to the boat. Has anyone done this? Or have any concerns about this? Any input would be appreciated.

I like the wide gunnels on my current boat. Even better if you add some kind of lip to keep stuff from rolling off into the water (I guarantee you will put a lure or something on that wide space).

I'm not a boat designer. Having said that disclaimer, I cannot think of any concern with adding width if that is all you are doing. If they are added in order to compensate for removal of some other structural part, then some "engineering" is appropriate to keep the boat from folding up on itself. For example, I see some folks add a sort of boxed in structure along the inside of the hull to compensate for removal of a structural bench seat. Seems like a good approach to me. But then, I'm not an engineer either! Haha.

LDUBS said:
I like the wide gunnels on my current boat. Even better if you add some kind of lip to keep stuff from rolling off into the water (I guarantee you will put a lure or something on that wide space).

I'm not a boat designer. Having said that disclaimer, I cannot think of any concern with adding width if that is all you are doing. If they are added in order to compensate for removal of some other structural part, then some "engineering" is appropriate to keep the boat from folding up on itself. For example, I see some folks add a sort of boxed in structure along the inside of the hull to compensate for removal of a structural bench seat. Seems like a good approach to me. But then, I'm not an engineer either! Haha.
I wasn't planning on adding width to the gunnel outside the boat, but rather inside. I'm a carpenter and know how to make a strong cantilever. Just was looking for possibly an example of someone doing one.

Adding an extra lip is an excellent idea, the thought has crossed my mind but I hadn't gotten into any fine details about it yet.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I agree, definitely keep the addition on the inside.

I stuck my head under the boat cover and took pic of the "lip" on my boat. Just an example that might help visualize something for your boat.

Coaming.jpg

You can try googling catwalks also. I've seen them on boats used for bowfishing. They have another rail with supports that go down and tie into the ribs, then are covered with aluminum. I suppose you could use wood if you wanted to though.

Latest posts