H-Bird Software Update

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Got the email about updating the software on my Helix 7. Included a video showing how. Pretty easy. Download the update. Move it to, in my case, a micro SD card. Restore defaults on the Helix. Put the card in and the update happens. Except it didn't. Nothing happened.

The instruction video forgot to mention the SD cards have to be erased then formatted in a specific way before copying the update file to them. Maybe that is obvious to folks, but it wasn't to me.

If you are new to this like me, check out "Formatting my SD or Micro SD card" on the Humminbird site. Might save yourself some trouble.

Got the email about updating the software on my Helix 7. Included a video showing how. Pretty easy. Download the update. Move it to, in my case, a micro SD card. Restore defaults on the Helix. Put the card in and the update happens. Except it didn't. Nothing happened.

The instruction video forgot to mention the SD cards have to be erased then formatted in a specific way before copying the update file to them. Maybe that is obvious to folks, but it wasn't to me.

If you are new to this like me, check out "Formatting my SD or Micro SD card" on the Humminbird site. Might save yourself some trouble.
Are you sure the email came from Humminbird?

All my birds are long past getting updates. Back when they came out with SI, they were coming out with about a release a month. It was hard to keep up. Somewhere I have an SD card with multiple releases for a number of different head units. Always worried that it was going to "brick" the unit, but never happened.

Are you sure the email came from Humminbird

Yup. It is really my own fault. Instead of stopping at the "how to" video, if I had read more on the download page at H-Bird's site, I would have had a clue to format the disc. It says I need a "formatted 32GB or smaller Class 10 or MMC?SC card".

For folks like me who are a little fuzzy on this stuff, here are the card formatting instructions from Humminbird's website:

Format.jpg

Curious what bugs were fixed. I’ll have to visit the HB site to check it out.

It probably varies by model. If you go to the software update page then click on your model, it will show a list of updates. I have a Helix 7 CHIRP MDI G4. Here is the update list -- kind of funny the last bullet fixes a side imaging issue but this unit doesn't have side imaging.

CHARTS

• Fixed an issue with Chart Info results.
  • Fixed an issue with Base/Overlay controls when both a Lakemaster Legacy and Lakemaster Vx card are inserted at the same time.
  • Fixed an issue with the Chart Source menu when a Navionics card is inserted.
  • Fixed a performance issue with Chart Zoom levels, Waypoints, and Chart Decluttering.
  • Fixed and issue with Cursor functionality while using Chart in Heads-Up Mode.
ICE MODE

• Updated the RTS window to default on and to A-scope mode.
  • Combined the RTS window feature in 2D, 2D Zoom, and Flasher views.
  • Fixed an issue with the RTS window after restarting the control head.
SONAR

• Fixed a weak sonar issue caused by 2D and DI being subscribed to from different sources.
  • Fixed an issue with Side-Imaging data in the water column when using the Zoom Feature.